Chapter 8

You spent the morning with Law.

Despite his serious and arrogant looks, he turned out to be quite a nice guy, at least when he wasn't trying to tease you. You soon learned to take his teasing with humor, though, and started answering with jokes and laughs, playing along with him, your playful answers pulling more than one amused smirk or chuckle on his behalf.

All in all, you ended up getting along incredibly well.

He had new questions about your world and they grew as he knew more things about it, so you patiently answered him the best you could.

Before you knew it, it was almost lunch time and you had to leave.

"Well, it's time I go home," you said, standing to take your bag. "Maybe Esther will come to visit later when she gets out of work."

"What does she work at?" Law questioned in curiosity.

"She's a school teacher," you replied.

Law stared at you with a glint of incredulity sparkling in his now gold-looking eyes. "That woman educates children?"

"Yes. She can give class to kids up to twelve." You smiled, chuckling at the look Law was sending to you. "I know she acted quite crazy yesterday, and I'm not going to say it was only because of you; she's pretty crazy on a regular basis. But she knows when she needs to get serious, and she's a very bright and affectionate girl. I can't think of anyone better to educate children. I'm sure she will help raise amazing people."

"She kind of reminds me of Strawhat-ya," Law murmured.

"Luffy?" You chuckled. "Maybe. They're both very energetic. Well, see you tomorrow, I guess."

"Actually, I was hoping for you to come back later... Maybe one extra hour this evening?" he hesitantly asked. He didn't want you to go, as you somehow made him feel at ease. He wanted you to stay the whole day with him, but of course he wasn't going to ask for that much.

You paused, blinking surprised that he wanted you to stay, images of him begging you not to leave him back at the road coming to your mind. "Of course," you gladly accepted. You didn't feel like spending the rest of the day alone at your home, anyways. The last day had been terribly long. The only reason that kept you from returning to the hospital was that you didn't want to bother him. "How about I come back after lunch and stay until dinner? I can bring my laptop with me and work here, and while I'm at it I can teach you how to use it. If you're going to live here, you definitely need to know how to use a computer," you suggested.

An involuntary spark of eagerness lit his eyes for a second before he could conceal the emotion. "I like the plan." He smirked. "See you later, then?"

"Yes." You smiled. "See you later."

In less than three hours, you were back. You didn't notice but, if you had payed close attention, you would've seen Law's eyes light up at your return.

"Hey!" you happily greeted, entering with your bag and a laptop case with your laptop inside.

"Hey," he repeated, chuckling at your cheerful entrance.

"How are you?" you questioned as you walked to the chair next to his bed.

He smiled internally. You always asked him how he felt when you visited. "Just fine. A bit tired of being tired, though."