Chapter 11

Law's POV

Bop. Bop. Beep.

Bop. Bop. Beep.

Not again...

I turned my head, and my eyes fixed on the stupid plastic egg laying on the table, with hatred.

"What now?" I grunted, reaching my arm to take it. I checked the hour on it, the only use that thing seemed to have. Fucking six in the morning.

I didn't know what to do with it anymore. I had read the instructions and I knew the damn chicken was supposed to go to sleep at night if I 'turned off the lights'. But for some reason it just kept beeping all night long, and despite I wouldn't have gotten any sleep anyways, that thing was driving me crazy.

It wasn't hungry. It wasn't dirty. But it didn't have too much happiness. I had tried playing with it before going to sleep, but I had been unable to win a single time, and the chicken kept getting mad at me.

The controls should be wrong. It had to be that.

I half-closed my eyes, trying to get a better view of the screen in the semi-darkness of the room. I blinked when, instead of a round chicken moving back and forth, my eyes met with a black tombstone with some kind of ghost coming out of it.

No. Way.

Was it dead already? I hadn't been able to keep it alive not even for twenty-four hours!

I stared blankly at the screen for a few moments. Well, dead dogs don't bite. That thing wouldn't bother me again.

I left it back on the table and rubbed my eyes tiredly. I knew I wasn't going to sleep, but at least I had to keep trying.

My mind wandered back to the annoying device I was trying to ignore. There had to be a way to keep it alive for longer. A nurse had told me that thing was a child's toy. It couldn't be so difficult to manage!

I gave in with a huff and sat up to take the tamagotchi once again. I looked for the manual and reset it. A newly born chicken appeared on the screen. I fed it and observed how it moved from one side of the screen to the other.

I decided to play again with it and try to win, but I got the same result again and again. The animation of the round chicken looking angrily at me was starting to irritate me.

I don't know how I did it but in less than one hour it was dead again.

I stared at the screen with incredulity. This had to be a joke.

I debated among abandoning that thing inside of the drawer, trying one more time, or throwing the useless thing through the window. But for some reason, I couldn't give up yet.

I decided I would keep it alive, no matter what. So I restarted the thing again, fed it, and set it aside.

It was going to be a long day...

"Good morning!" My heart jumped in joy when (Y/N)-ya's cheerful voice reached my ears the next morning. I had missed her so much the previous day... "How are you?"

"Tired," I replied with a lopsided smile that I tried to conceal as a carefree smirk. I hadn't been able to sleep a single hour since I last saw her, not even in the afternoon, and I was feeling quite exhausted again.

"Hmmm... I see. The nurses have told me you're not sleeping at all," she said in concern.

"It's okay, I'm used to it," I soothed her. But she clearly didn't buy it. I probably had huge dark circles by then.