Chapter 13

A week went by, and Law kept recovering. After the night you had spent at the hospital, achieving your goal of getting him to sleep, the peculiar jet lag he had suffered the previous days has softened and it was being easier for him to fall asleep at night as days passed. During that last week he had recovered a good amount of his strength, due to the healthy food and rest. He could finally eat by himself and stand without getting dizzy. And you were really happy about that not just because it meant you didn't have to keep showering him but because you were truly happy to see him feeling better. However, he still was unable of using his devil fruit powers.

Esther had visited some more times, all of them going as crazy as only she could manage to, and cheekily running to crush poor Law in overexcited hugs, fangirling and yelling about how much she loved him and how awesome he was. Fortunately, Law seemed to start getting used to her and he just remained motionless waiting for you to drag her away, something that was rather difficult since your friend clung to him for dear life.

You and Law were starting to get really close as well. You already felt as if you had known him for a long time, and even were feeling excited about sharing your apartment with him. Despite having affirmed you should be able to hang on by yourself, you had to admit that it would do good to you to have a friend living with you, even if he had come out from a manga and was constantly teasing you for fun. Honestly, you would have never thought you would get along so perfectly with the character you knew from that manga. The character you had thought to know, at least.

Law looked at the door worriedly for the fifth time. You were late, and that wasn't normal. You had left to go to eat to your apartment when he was finishing his lunch, but it was already afternoon and you still didn't return. He was starting to fear something had happened, although there was no reason for it to be something bad.

"Hello!"

His eyes immediately darted back to the door when your cheerful voice reached his ears. Except that your voice wasn't truly cheerful that time, and he noticed right away. As well as he noticed your forced smile and your glossy, saddened eyes.

"Sorry for the delay, I came across an acquaintance and I got distracted," you apologized, brushing off the matter. But you avoided to look at him directly in the eye, and he didn't miss it either. Your body language was screaming something had happened that had hurt you deeply.

"Is everything okay?" he asked frowning in worry.

"Yes, of course," you replied nonchalantly, giving him a quick glance before turning your attention to the TV.

"You sure?" he insisted. "You seem upset."

His frown deepened when he saw your lips twisting in a pout and your eyes filling with tears. You blinked repeatedly trying to hold them back and fixed your eyes on your lap, your face slightly turned away from him.

"(Y/N)-ya?" he carefully called you.

"Please, don't talk to me," you pleaded almost desperately, your voice trembling slightly.

Law tensed at your words. What had happened? Had he done something wrong? Were you mad at him for some reason? "If this is because of me..." He paused, not knowing how to continue as he had no idea what he could've done to bother you to this level.

You shook your head. "It's not you. Don't worry. Just ignore me for a while," you requested, talking rather fast as if talking for longer would make you shatter.

After that, Law decided to remain silent. Instead, he pretended to watch the TV as he looked at you from the corner of his eyes, listening to your occasional sniffles and wondering what had happened to you. He wished he could do something to comfort you. If someone was the culprit of this, he would cut them into pieces. He didn't care if he couldn't use his devil fruit or Kikoku for it.