Chapter 110

You quietly listened, from the rear seat, how your father explained to Law what was everything in the car. You already showed him shortly after he started the driving classes, but it was okay that your father reminded him.

You had gone to a big, empty ground so Law could practice, and he was already in the driver's seat, attentively listening to what your father told him.

"Is it okay if I move the seat?" Law asked. You already explained to him it was important to have the seat in a correct position, and how to check if it was comfortable for you.

He sounded a little nervous, and his body seemed a bit tense, something you didn't expect, neither he.

"Yes, yes, go ahead," your father responded. "Do you know how to do it?"

"I think so."

After Law found a comfortable position, your father showed him how to arrange the mirrors so he had an adequate view of the road.

"Very well," your father concluded before raising the keys. "Here you are. Start the car."

Law swiftly glanced at you before taking the key, concealing his hesitance.

A soft sigh left his lips when the car easily started.

Your father explained to him how the steering wheel, gears, and pedals work, among some other things, and finally told him to move the car and drive.

"If you need to ask something, do it," you intervened, feeling your father was advancing too fast in the lesson.

Law didn't reply, focused on looking forward and remembering everything he needed to do, even though at the moment a crippled snail would easily overtake you. He felt he had no real control over the car, and he didn't trust the machine. He didn't trust it at all.

For the next hour, Law drove the car following your father's instructions. At first, the speed was really slow, until your father told him to go a bit faster. Since Law didn't control it yet, he kept accelerating too much and braking too suddenly when your father told him to slow down.

When it happened for the fifth time, your father laughed humorously. "Relax the shoulders, boy, you need your neck to turn your head," he joked. "The pedals are very sensitive, if you're gentler when pressing them you'll have better control, and you don't need to brake in order to slow the speed, it'll be enough if you simply lift your foot a bit from the accelerator."

Law forced his shoulders down and nodded, his eyes wide open, as if that way he could view more. He felt as if he could run into the closest house in the town if he got distracted for a second, as he didn't seem to be able to do everything he should even though he was fully concentrated; when he turned he forgot to check if a car was coming (even though there weren't more cars, he had to practice), he forgot to release and hold down the clutch when he had to, he forgot to keep looking forward and got distracted with the far object he didn't want to crash into, making the car go off course... It was harder than he expected, and he felt very unsafe.

"Don't worry, it was the same with me, you just need to practice. I promise it'll be easier once you've caught the drift," you cheered him.

"Turn right," your father said. "Not so fast."

This time Law controlled better the pedal, and he managed to make a curve almost smoothly.

"When I do this at the city... Won't I crash everywhere, or run over someone?" Law asked. He was quiet most of the time, as he was concerned talking would distract him.