Chapter 58

WARNING: This chapter contains mentions of cancer.

"You'll be discharged tomorrow, then?" your mother happily questioned.

"Most likely, yes," you replied with a smile.

It was the next evening and, as they had promised, your parents visited again. When they appeared, you already had your lunch (your breakfast consisted on a yogurt and a juice, much to your dismay, so Law had to recourse to the crackers again, but thankfully you had a glorious omelet for lunch). Your IV was still connected to your arm, though. You didn't need more saline solutions, but since you had to take the medication for the ulcer, the nurses decided to leave it. You would start with the pills at home.

"This time your doc will provide you with free private assistance, you can't complain." Oh, and Esther arrived shortly after your parents did. And you wished she stopped with her puns, your parents weren't stupid.

Your father sent her a brief glare.

She didn't even notice (and probably didn't care), but Law and you did, your gazes meeting in humor afterwards, although yours a little concerned about the comments her jokes could bring about.

"You know? You could go back home with us for a while. Law can stay at your apartment," your father intervened, sounding too casual. "I mean... If you feel you need to slow down. It normally takes more time for couples to live together, and hurrying could destroy the magic..." he quickly and noticeably unwillingly added when your mother frowned at him.

"We'll be fine, dad. But thanks," you thanked, holding back an amused smile. Well, he was partially right, but Law and you weren't an ordinary couple anyways.

"I promise I'll keep her warm at night so she doesn't catch a cold," Law said, imitating your father's casual tone, although some cockiness and humor could be seen in his eyes, if you payed attention.

Esther and you stared at him in baffled silence. Was he teasing your father? Really?

Thankfully, your mother only seemed amused and your father, unaffected. "Use a good quality safety blanket or I'll use fire," he pointed out in seriousness.

Now the conversation was getting weird... and awkward.

Law's left eyebrow rose imperceptibly, the rest of his face remaining stoic. He had no idea what your father had meant with the blanket, although the fire part was clearly a threat.

Before anyone had the chance to reply, Esther talked to you. "By the way, do you mind if I take Law with me for a moment? There's something I want to ask him," she requested as if nothing had happened.

To be honest, despite your father and boyfriend's childish 'conversation', the atmosphere wasn't tense. Your father wasn't upset by Law's behavior, he was more like establishing his personal boundaries and testing Law, specially after seeing how close you and he were already; and Law didn't give a damn about your father's insinuations, it just wasn't his style to keep quiet when someone targeted him like your father did, it was funnier to talk back and get a reaction. In fact, he found pretty amusing that your father went along with him and replied with another pun to his own.

"Don't look at me, you know who needs to give you his consent." You shrugged.

Having heard this, Law turned to Esther, silently telling her to proceed. Your mother made you a question and you turned your attention to your parents.