Chapter 115

You weren't sure why you woke up. It could be because the bed kept creaking as Law moved. Or it could be because he wasn't holding you anymore and you missed his closeness. But you'd swear you could feel his distress and that's what actually woke you, because the first thing you did when you opened your eyes in confusion, before noticing anything else, was turn around to look at him, and find him writhing in dreams. Or nightmares.

You sat up, turned on the lamp on your night table, and held Law's nearest hand, trying to calm him. Upon observing him, you were almost sure he was having a panic attack and would wake up any minute now.

"Law," you gently called him. You placed a calming hand on his forehead. "Law," you repeated, louder this time, but still gently.

His eyes finally opened, and they stared at you in frightened confusion.

"You're having a panic attack," you softly told him, so his drowsy mind understood as soon as possible what was happening. "But it's okay. I'm here. It's okay," you murmured, stroking his hair and squeezing his hand. "You're at my grandparents' house, remember? It's Christmas, and you got many presents. We're in our room now, we were sleeping. It's okay."

He remained where he was, laying on his side facing you, too scared to move. His breathing started to become strangled, and he coughed, trying to relieve the obstruction he felt.

"You can breathe, " you sweetly reminded him, still holding his hand and stroking his hair. "Let's breathe together, okay?"

You made sure to have his eyes locked on yours before starting to count and breathe. You counted to four as you breathed in, held it for seven seconds, and counted to eight as you exhaled. It was a technique you found not long ago, and it seemed to work. "You're doing so well," you softly encouraged him after a couple of rounds. "Let's do it again."

You kept breathing as you counted for him to have something to focus on, and he followed your instructions the best he could.

However, after a few rounds, Sneaky jumped on the bed, and did something that caught you completely off-guard; she walked to Law, meowing, and nestled against his chest before lovingly rubbing his cheek with her head, purring strongly.

You were so surprised you forgot to keep talking, but fortunately, you didn't need to, thanks to Sneaky's purrs.

Law petted her with his free hand, feeling her body vibrating against his with her purrs. He started to relax in seconds.

You smiled in wonder, seeing in your boyfriend's face he was feeling a lot better. When his eyes moved back to you, you offered a soothing smile. "I love you, my handsome, brave jaguar."

You held back a giggle when his cheeks faintly blushed at your loving words, his eyes moving to Sneaky. Her purring was making you sleepy.

"Do you want me to bring Chirp?" you asked in a whisper.

"I'm okay," Law muttered, his eyes returning to you. Your smile and the way you looked at him were so comforting... He knew he was safe with you.

The cat's purring was softer now, but it was still there. Law moved his hand to scratch her head, and she closed her eyes in pleasure.

"She must really love you," you commented, still amazed. It was as if she had sensed Law's fear and anxiety, and had come to comfort him. No. That was exactly what had happened. "If you need to change of environment we can go to the living room, I know how to light the fireplace. Or we can go somewhere else. Wherever you're comfortable."