Chapter 113

Law's POV

When we entered the living room, I was surprised by the amount of gifts around the Christmas tree. (Y/N) explained to me that, on Epiphany, the Three Kings left presents too, so usually people got just a couple of presents for Christmas, often simpler than the ones they got on Three Kings Day, when most of the presents were received, so I hadn't expected much. We were many people, though, so I guess it was understandable.

(Y/N)'s grandfather went to light the fireplace while everybody approached the tree.

For a moment, I stood where I was, somehow paralyzed and unsure of what to do, until (Y/N) returned to my side and grabbed my hand, my eyes focusing on her bright smile for a moment before she pulled me toward the gifts with everyone else.

The kids had sat on the floor, as well as their parents and Vero-ya, while the others either stood or sat on a chair nearby.

"Here are many for you, Law!" Vero-ya cheered, signaling the spot next to her.

(Y/N) guided me, and we sat on the floor as well, where Vero-ya had signaled.

(Y/N)'s cousins handed us some more gifts, and I was shocked by how many of them were for me.

"Don't you open them?" (Y/N) asked me with a smile, opening her first gift.

I realized I was staring at the colorful and shiny gifts, too taken aback to react, so I nodded, seeing in her smile she understood why I was behaving so passively.

However, when I focused on the gifts, consciously now, I found myself not knowing where to start. I wasn't used to this, I felt overwhelmed and out of place.

My crew would give me gifts for my birthday, of course. I had also received many gifts from (Y/N), Esther-ya, and their friends. But, for some reason, this moment had a stronger, different impact on me. These people didn't know me... Yet they treated me like family. Actual family. Close family. I hadn't expected this...

Thankfully, everybody was too busy with their own gifts to notice my hesitation. Although I heard someone telling me to start with the bigger gifts, so I guess they paid me some attention, after all.

But it was (Y/N) the only one who could sense I was having trouble to react, and the one who left her gifts aside to lend me a hand.

"It's hard to choose when there are so many, right?" she softly said with a kind smile, moving so close our sides were pressed. The feeling alone helped me stay grounded.

The sound of the Christmas carols increased as my senses returned to the present, and I realized the cheerful jabber I was perceiving was actually the others talking and showing their gifts. They weren't as focused on their own gifts as I had thought, they were more focused on sharing their excitement.

I felt as if I was in a bubble where I couldn't communicate. Not because I felt ignored, but because I couldn't show the enthusiasm they did.

"Let's start with this one," (Y/N) decided, taking the nearest gift and placing it on my lap. It was part of a tower of three gifts. "Look how cute, it's a reindeer," she added, raising the gift closer to our eyes to let me see the Christmassy sticker where someone had written 'From Santa Claus to Law. Merry Christmas!'.

I doubtfully grabbed it and opened it.

Inside, I found a pair of gloves, and the other two gifts contained a hat and a scarf, all of them made of gray, thick, soft wool. They looked very warm and cozy, and the hat had a fluffy gray pompom also made with wool.