Chapter 136

Your shy but happy laughter resonated in the living room at a funny anecdote Shachi just related. Having finished dinner, you had moved to the couch with Shachi, and the others had sat on the floor around the coffee table, facing you. Kid was back on the armchair, isolated from you (although you had the feeling he had his ears on your random conversation), his eyes lost on the lonely TV nobody was paying attention to, not even him. And Law was currently in the bathroom.

"(Y/N), when we met your friend the captain said he's her favorite 'character'," Penguin said, "Was he your favorite, too?"

"Well, to be honest, I just know of you because of Esther, the manga never really interested me," you replied. "But no, he wasn't. He didn't really catch my attention in any way."

"How's that possible? Our captain is pretty unique," Ikkaku noted.

You shrugged. "I don't know. There are many animes and mangas in my world, and from Esther, I know there are always certain cool characters, so he seemed nothing special to me."

Your eyes flickered to Kid; you were sure you just heard him chuckle, but his face seemed the same.

"Not even because of his looks?" Shachi inquired, everybody's eyes fixing on him. "Don't stare at me, you know all the girls like him!"

You smiled in amusement. "He was just a cartoon and I don't pay attention to that stuff."

"Who was your favorite, then?" Bepo intervened.

"It was Bepo, right? All the girls either love Bepo or the Captain, and there's nothing left for Penguin," Penguin lamented.

"Sorry..." the mink bear apologized.

Your face turned to the crew member next to you, who you offered a beaming smile. "It was Shachi." And now that you met him in person, you couldn't deny you adored him. He was funny and adorable.

You giggled at the dark crimson color the visible part of his face immediately took.

"Shachi?" Ikkaku asked in disgust. "Why?"

You shrugged. "I think he's funny, I don't know."

"I-I-I-I like you, too, (Y/N). You're kind and p-p-pr-pretty. L-l-let's be friends!" an extremely nervous Shachi stuttered.

It was then when he felt Death stabbing the back of his head with the cold blade of its scythe. He only dared to move his eyes, his Captain soon entering his field of vision.

Law carried a casual, unaffected look, but as he approached the couch, his eyes sent Shachi a side glance that promised horrible pain. Then, he forced his body between you and Shachi, the second finally reacting and sitting on the arm of the couch, as far from you as possible. He totally preferred running away from the place, but he feared he would trigger Law's hunter instincts if he tried to escape.

Law wrapped a firm, possessive arm around your shoulders, pulling you closer, and sent Shachi one last dark, warning look that caused a shiver to run up his spine.

You looked up at your boyfriend's face, noticing what was happening but not wanting to mention it in front of the others. When his eyes met yours, they softened, and you raised your eyebrow so he knew you knew and didn't approve his behavior.

His eyes looked away. "I'm going to call Esther-ya to see how's she doing," he announced, hoping to avoid your scolding look. He put the speaker and left the mobile on the coffee table.

As soon as she picked up, you could hear an uproar in the background.

"Laaaaaaaaaw! How are you!? How's (Y/N)!?" she loudly said. "Guys, it's Law!"