*(56) Seventh Year, Part 2 of 4

Despite trying not to think of him, her thoughts wandered to Tom, but more so to the man lying next to her. Severus had stayed up until she got back, sacrificing his own energy for her well-being. She couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense of love and gratitude for him, a feeling that would endure far into the future.

~•Time Skip•~

"I can't believe it's already time for me to go back. It seems like only yesterday we came home," Sophie said wistfully, her fingers gently running through her hair as she held her packed suitcase in her left hand. Her wand was securely tucked between her fingers in the same hand, a subtle sign of nervousness as she faced the impending separation.

Her gaze lingered on the man before her, Severus, who stood wearing his customary attire, a black robe that exuded an aura of mystery, and a deep purple button-up shirt underneath, much like what he would wear in the future. Fatigue and suppressed emotions played across his face, evidence of the strenuous training he had undergone to be accepted into the esteemed Potions Master program, a challenge that demanded brewing three intense potions without any room for failure or mishap, all in a matter of days.

"I don't want to face it either, but it's the only way you'll be closer to me in the future if you get it over with now," Severus reassured her, rolling his shoulders against the wooden-paned door. His voice held a mixture of concern and determination, a reflection of his desire to protect her, even in her absence.

Sophie let out a deep sigh, her emotions battling between the longing to stay and the need to move forward. She hugged Severus tightly as he took a step forward to meet her, their bodies pressing against each other as if trying to etch the memory of this moment forever. They clung to each other, time seemingly suspended for a brief but cherished period; minutes felt like hours, and yet it was never enough.

"You better write to me. It doesn't have to be every day, just let me know how things are going and keep me in the know when it comes to the Dark Lord since I can't do anything while inside Hogwarts," Sophie pleaded, her eyes closed, imagining the devastating future that awaited them.

"I'll be sure to use Korax since he's much more swift than the usual owl. He's quite the smart bird, I must admit," Severus assured her, looking beyond Sophie to see the white raven perched gracefully in a nearby tree. The early September sun cast a golden glow on the changing leaves, creating a beautiful yet bittersweet backdrop for their farewell.

"Enough chit chat; we'll have time for that later. I must depart before the train leaves without me, I'm afraid," Sophie said, her tone growing more punctual as she reluctantly broke the embrace. Over time, she had grown accustomed to speaking in such a manner, mirroring Severus' own precise way of expressing himself.

"I'll miss you greatly," Severus said, his voice tinged with a hint of melancholy as he opened the door for her to exit.

"I'll miss you more," Sophie countered playfully, giving him a wink to lighten the mood.

"I'll miss you the most," Severus responded with a warm smirk, nudging his shoulder against Sophie's in a small gesture of affection. Their eyes locked, and she kissed him gently on the lips before finally stepping away, the weight of the moment hanging heavily in the air. They both knew it was time to part ways, with the promise of reuniting during the holidays.

"I love you," Sophie whispered, her heartache palpable.

"Your captivating nature continues to infatuate me, and forever will," Severus confessed, fighting against the urge to pull her back into his arms. He longed to stay by her side, but he knew she needed to depart before having to apparate too far.