*(14) You Can Run Away With Me

With a gradual opening of her eyes, she beheld Severus in a new light—a brighter form, an evolution that had already begun to reshape his very essence.

After the incident in the potions classroom, Severus guided Sophie through the corridor toward their common room. Few students lingered in the vicinity—only a handful of fifth and sixth years who had yet to depart for other areas of the castle.

Curiosity sparked in the eyes of those who glimpsed Sophie and Severus, but the two Slytherins paid no mind to the wandering gazes. Instead, Severus led her into one of the side rooms, filled with shelves displaying well-worn books and sturdy hardwood tables.

The room stood empty.

With a graceful gesture, Severus pulled out a chair for Sophie to sit in, and a faint blush painted her cheeks for she was not used to this level of kindness. Inwardly, she pondered why she found herself drawn to Severus, a character not conventionally or particularly chivalrous—certainly not as he would become in the isolated persona of "Snape." Most people despised him for his treatment of Harry and the derogatory remarks he directed toward the boy's father.

But after witnessing the malevolence and repugnant nature of James Potter, she understood. James Potter was a beast capable of love and basic human emotions, a frightened creature who resorted to defiling his adversaries in any way possible. She wondered how Harry could have descended from someone so different from the man he would become. Perhaps he inherited his intellect and strategic thinking from Lily.

At least, that's what she hoped.

Lily possessed an elegance that seemed to radiate from her, an intangible aura of understanding. It wasn't a feeling per se, but rather a sense of truly comprehending her—similar to a blend of Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom, and a touch of Ron Weasley.

Yet, those individuals did not exist in the present moment. The figures before her were Lily Evans, James Potter, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew, Lucius Malfoy, Narcissa Black, and the most misunderstood of them all—Severus Snape, the boy who cried in the wardrobe, the boy who would be misunderstood by others in the future.

But none of that mattered to Sophie. She cared for this individual, and she could see his growth potential.

Her train of thought snapped back to reality when Severus spoke, his voice filled with sincerity. "If not for you, I would be lost..."

She met his gaze, her vision sharpening. The previously blurred contours of his figure transformed into a black-and-white image of unmistakable clarity. She couldn't shake off the memory of their earlier encounter; his vulnerability. Though she inhabited her 11-year-old self once again, her thoughts drifted into areas of a more advanced intelligence.

"You know, there's this band in America..." she began, her voice tinged with excitement. "They've released a few albums, but you probably wouldn't know them..." Her eyes scanned the room, spotting the relics of ancient instruments. A neglected guitar sat in the corner, covered in dust. Her face lit up with delight. "Perfect."

She approached the corner, reaching for the guitar. Dust particles danced off its curves, landing softly on the ground, leaving a thin layer on the instrument's surface. With a flick of her wand, she uttered, "Scourgify."

Instantly, the remaining layers of dust vanished, leaving the guitar polished and perfectly tuned. Her fingertips plucked a few strings, and a smile curled on her lips as she realized she could coax music from this instrument. Thoughts raced through her mind, considering which song to play—something from her time or his.

Closing her eyes, Sophie embraced the silence of the room, attuning herself to the faint whispers of falling dust and the passage of time on the creaking floorboards. Severus settled into a chair, leaning against its back, resting his chin on crossed arms as he watched her, admiration gleaming in his eyes. At this moment, she became his angel, a conjured miracle—where would he be without her?

And then it struck her—a melody formed in her mind. Her fingers found their place on the supposed chords, and she began strumming a tune. She cleared her throat as the solo played on, nerves tingling with the anticipation of what was to come. She had never performed for anyone other than her parents and her dog, making this a monumental leap. Once upon a time, she had dreamed of pursuing music, but that path closed after... an accident occurred. Still, she immersed herself in the beauty of music, listening to it and indulging in its enchantment.

Her eyes opened, fixing upon Severus, the coy boy in front of her. Thoughts of the day's events and the future he might face, should she continue helping him, flooded her mind. And then, she began to sing:

"When the lights go out, will you take me with you? And carry all this broken bone. Through six years down in crowded rooms, and highways I call home? It's something I can't know 'til now. 'Til you pick me off the ground. With a brick in hand, my lip-gloss smile, your scraped-up knees, and..." She paused, her voice intensifying as her fingers strummed the chords beneath them. She locked eyes with Severus, pouring her emotions into every word. "If you stay, I would even wait all night; Or until my heart explodes. How long? Until we find our way in the dark and out of harm. You can run away with me, anytime you want."

The song ended there, the final notes fading into silence. Sophie strummed out a few more chords, allowing the melody to ebb away. She had chosen the perfect song for their situation, and she felt a surge of pride, watching as the monochrome figure before her transformed, shedding the dullness of his previous state.

A stillness settled over the room, resonating like the lingering vibrations of a single chord, a fervent tempo that gradually eased into harmony with the passage of time.

"That was... amazing," Severus finally spoke, rising from his seat and drawing closer to Sophie.

She stood up, returning the guitar to its corner, ensuring the area was devoid of dust before doing so. As she met Severus' gaze, his obsidian eyes seemed even darker in the dusty, cramped atmosphere.

"Let's get you cleaned up, Sev," Sophie suggested, swaying toward the door.

"Alright," Severus agreed, rushing ahead to open the door for her.

Exiting the dimness of the wooden room, the two Slytherins parted ways, each heading toward their respective dormitories. Sophie's eyes fixed on her feet as she ascended the steps, while Severus observed her every stride, savoring the sight before him.

In his miserable existence, she was the beacon of light, the highlight that illuminated his darkest days.