*(8) The Task at Hand

Dumbledore smiled warmly, replying, "You are to keep the Marauders in check."

She stood there, stunned for a moment. "Wait, did you say the Marauders?" she asked, her voice filled with surprise.

"Yes, indeed," Dumbledore confirmed.

Hooch returned to Sophie's side, flashing a subtle wink at her. "Looks like everything is under control, so we'll head back to class," she said, nodding at Dumbledore.

As Hooch walked away, Sophie found herself rooted to the spot. Her body wouldn't obey her commands, instead, it was pulling her towards the hidden area where the Pensieve was kept. She knew it was there, already containing the thoughts of many individuals, but none of them yet held the memories of the near future—the reign of Voldemort, the Dark Lord's terror.

Snape hadn't visited the Pensieve, nor had Harry. Dumbledore hadn't attended hearings or dealt with Tom Riddle's "demise" and subsequent resurrection as Voldemort. Those memories were yet to be made, and while certain events might change, the memories would still find their way into the Pensieve.

"Lost in thought?" Dumbledore's voice broke her reverie as he stood up from his desk. Finally able to move, she turned to face him, finding him with his usual calm expression.

"Yes and no, sir. I've been pondering about people's thoughts," she replied, pointing towards the concealed Pensieve.

"Do you know about it?" he asked, reaching into a bowl of candy on his desk.

"Yes, sir," she murmured, taking a step closer to Dumbledore. In the bowl were the same candies Harry had tried when he first discovered the Pensieve—snapping little pieces of Hell that likely tasted amazing.

Dumbledore let out a sigh, prompting Sophie to speak up again. "Do... do you ever regret going to the orphanage?" she inquired, already anticipating his response. His eyes seemed disturbed for a moment, but they phased quickly.

"I believe everything happens for a reason, Miss Bussell. But... I do regret not going sooner. If I had, our reality might not be as tragic as it has become," Albus confessed, popping one of the snapping candies into his mouth with a forced smile.

Sophie looked down, a sense of guilt washing over her. She knew what was going to happen soon, but she couldn't dare change the course of events before Harry's time. James and Lily wouldn't have to die, and innocent lives wouldn't be lost. However, those were the cycles of life, a bitter truth.

Now, it wasn't just guilt churning in her stomach, but the weight of knowledge. Knowing when something would happen, having the ability to save someone yet choosing not to—it gripped her insides. It was like the tale of Hamlet, except she found herself unexpectedly cast as Claudius, a more cynical and tyrannical version, if possible.

Dumbledore cleared the air, breaking the heavy silence. "I am expecting a visitor sometime this week, though the exact time isn't specified," he informed her.

She pondered for a few seconds, trying to figure out who it could be, but no one came to mind.

"I believe you know him well. After all, you'll be reading his books starting in your third year," Albus said, a smile playing on his lips.

"You can't be serious! Him?" realization struck her, realizing the identity of the visitor. "Newt Scamander?" she exclaimed.

Dumbledore nodded, saying, "Yes, I believe he would be delighted to meet you, just as you would be to meet him. It's not every day a wizard gets to meet a time traveler."

Raising an eyebrow, Sophie responded, "What about the Time-Turner? Doesn't that count as time travel?"

Dumbledore shook his head slightly. "Not everyone is aware of such a device. But I believe Severus has recovered enough, so if you'd like to leave, feel free to do so."

"Are you kicking me out, sir?" Sophie asked playfully.

He chuckled and settled back into his chair. With that, she walked back towards the separate entrance and made her way to the infirmary, realizing how long she had been engrossed in conversation with Dumbledore.

Almost skidding into the infirmary, she abruptly turned to enter. There, near the doorway, stood Severus with an ice bag on his neck—probably a case of whiplash, she surmised.

"Took you long enough," Severus snapped, catching her off guard.

"Oh, well, I was just..." she began, but her words were cut off when Severus pulled her into a hug. A hug. Warmth returned to his cold form as his hands embraced her gently. She hadn't noticed before, but he was a few inches taller than her.

She hugged back, but his embrace held more intensity. She could smell his scent—the lingering aroma of Potions class mixed with spearmint, and the unique scent that was purely him. It held traces of the grass he walked on, the dirt, the stone—everything. It was oddly comforting, like being snuggled up with a cozy blanket at home.

She almost got lost in the moment, tightening her grip. Both being just eleven years old, this felt like the surest sign of trust between the two. Eventually, they released each other, their eyes locking.

Severus's eyes, oblique and obsidian, reflected her image, glistening with a hint of moisture—likely from his aversion to taking medicine when he didn't have to.

"Can we agree that Gryffindors are off-limits?" Sophie asked, her gaze directed slightly upward toward him.

"Agreed," he replied, his voice slightly husky. "What did the headmaster want with you?" he inquired, attempting to lighten the atmosphere.

"Ironically, he wants me to keep those four in check. Though I don't know why he can't do it himself. It is his school after all...So if they ever mistreat you again, please let me know," Sophie said, grabbing both of his hands and looking him straight in the eyes.

He started to speak, but no words came out at first. Eventually, he managed to say, "Always."

Sophie was stunned, her mind reeling for a moment. 'Did... did he just say "always"?' she thought, as he let go of her hands.

"I suppose we should head back to the common room until that class is over. I don't feel like facing those fools at the moment," Severus suggested, beginning to make his way toward the exit.

"Agreed," Sophie replied with a soft laugh.

Together, they walked back towards their common room, seeking solace until the evening feast.