*(21) Reunions

"I need to tell you about Tom Riddle," Sophie said, her gaze unwavering, her voice carrying the weight of her experiences.

The room crackled with an electric tension as Sophie spoke his name aloud, her voice filled with anticipation and a hint of nervousness.

"No need to worry, Miss Bussell," Albus replied, his eyes locked with Sophie's, a spark of knowing passing between them. "I was already informed. I received the news just moments before your arrival."

Curiosity danced in Sophie's eyes, a glimmer of intrigue lighting up her features. "By whom, I wonder?" she asked, her voice tinged with curiosity.

"For now, it shall remain a secret between me and the mediator," Albus responded, swiftly diverting the conversation. "As of now, you will resume your routine here at Hogwarts. Your room remains unchanged, and all your garments and belongings have been recently updated to match your current persona."

A mischievous smile graced Sophie's lips, her gaze briefly darting downwards. "By any chance, do you have any food? I haven't eaten in six years," she remarked, attempting to brush off the gravity of her near-fatal past years with a lighthearted laugh.

Chuckling warmly, Albus replied, "Of course, a meal was sent up for you upon hearing of your... 'arrival'."

Sophie's smile widened, her gaze lingering on her own feet. Concern etched in her voice, she inquired, "Is... is Severus alright?"

Albus paused, his expression thoughtful as he carefully chose his words. "You'll have to see for yourself."

The Phoenix statue behind her stirred as Albus's voice commanded it to release her from his office. Eagerly, Sophie took steps towards the statue, descending the spiral stone staircase.

As she made her way through the castle, torches illuminated and extinguished in her wake. Each flicker of light offered a momentary glimpse, painting the path before vanishing into the shadows, adding an air of mystique and enchantment to her journey.

Now back in the cold depths of the dungeon, a wide smile played on Sophie's lips. Lucius was gone, Severus was here, and above all, she had the chance to spend time with him.

In that moment, an overwhelming sense of joy enveloped her, filling her heart with an indescribable warmth. The trials she had endured were finally behind her, and the prospect of reuniting with Severus fueled her every step.

Pushing open the common room door, she was greeted by the flickering flames of a roaring fire, casting a warm glow on the surroundings. However, the room appeared empty, causing a brief moment of uncertainty to flutter through her.

Undeterred, she continued on her path, her determination unwavering. Moving through the familiar corridors, she reached an empty chamber—or so she believed.

The fire in the pit simmered down, casting a dim light that added an aura of mystery to the room. Sophie could only make out a few steps ahead and the vague silhouettes of nearby furniture, intensifying her sense of anticipation.

"Oh, damn," she muttered under her breath, her voice barely audible amidst the quietude.

As she reached out behind her to find the wall and locate the path to the girls' dormitory, something unexpected brushed against her fingertips, sending a jolt of surprise through her.

With a powerful sweep, she was pulled into someone's arms, their embrace enveloping her in a comforting warmth that banished any lingering doubts.

A faint sob reached her ears, followed by a smooth, almost deep voice. "I thought you were a dream." The voice wavered, punctuated by stifled sniffles and silent sobs, hidden from the world.