*(2) Foolish Wandwaving

Turning to her left, Sophie's eyes met Severus Snape's, a fellow Slytherin.

Sophie turned in the direction of the voice and walked towards it, a grin forming on her face. "Fancy seeing you here."

Somehow, Severus managed to crack a smile, though it was barely visible against his pale complexion. "I'm guessing you already explored the amazing Hogwarts school on your tour."

"Yeah, and instead of our house head showing me around and giving me the lowdown, I ended up being the one doing the explaining. I know everything about this place!" Sophie chuckled, amused by the irony.

Severus stifled a laugh, burying his face in the book he was holding to hide his widening smile. "So, what's the plan for getting your wand?" he asked, his curiosity piqued.

Sophie glanced down at her feet for a moment before responding, "I'll be getting my wand tomorrow, probably before breakfast. Mr. Ollivander has a limited amount of time, and I don't want to disrupt his work. Plus, I'm eager to see what my wand is made of and start practicing my defensive skills against the Dark Arts."

Severus was taken aback for a moment, then asked, "You're also interested in the Dark Arts?"

"Absolutely," Sophie replied confidently.

'Because of you,' she thought to herself.

"How many classes have you attended since you all arrived?"

"We've only been here for a month, so we've had our first assessments," Severus replied nonchalantly.

"Oh no," Sophie exclaimed, a touch of anxiety creeping into her voice. "That means I'm already behind!" She dramatically placed the back of her hand on her forehead and let out a deep sigh.

Severus paused for a moment, then placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "I can help you with your studies," he offered.

Sophie's eyes lit up, and a smile spread across her face. "Really?"

Severus nodded vaguely, "Yes."

Sophie released a sigh of relief, letting go of the pressure that had been building up. "Thank you, Severus."

He withdrew his hand from her shoulder and returned to his book on potions. The sunlight was fading, signaling the approaching curfew for students to return to their dormitories.

Severus glanced back at the lone girl and informed her, "It's almost time for lights out. You might want to head to the first-year dorms early. Things can get a bit rowdy."

She thanked him once again and made her way to the dormitory. Stepping into the cold room, she surveyed her surroundings. Many beds were unoccupied since there weren't many girls sorted into Slytherin that year. Only a few beds were taken, leaving plenty of space.

Sitting down on a freshly made bed, Sophie swung her feet, accidentally hitting something hidden beneath. Startled, she leaned forward and discovered a briefcase tucked away underneath.

'I guess this bed is already claimed,' she thought to herself, trying to decipher the initials engraved on the case's surface while it was upside down.

'Odd. Those are my initials—S.B.' Her curiosity piqued, she pulled the case onto the bed next to her, opened the latches, and lifted the top. Inside, neatly packed clothing had been shrunk to save space. To her surprise, they were her own clothes.

"Gahhh..." she exclaimed, rummaging through the small articles. "I love magic!" she proclaimed. Her words caught the attention of another girl passing by.