*(39) Mental Tendencies

His words hung in the air, heavy with a sense of remorse and regret. Sophie could sense that there was more to the story than he was revealing, that behind the calm façade he presented to the world, there was a tumultuous storm of emotions brewing within him.

As he hunched slightly, she couldn't see the extent of his injuries, but she could feel his pain radiating from his very core. There was a vulnerability to him that she had never witnessed before as if the powerful wizard before her was stripped bare of his defenses and pretenses.

Her heart ached at the sight of him in distress, and an overwhelming sense of empathy washed over her. She knew she had to act quickly to help him, to ease the suffering he was experiencing.

Without hesitation, she moved closer, her hand reaching out in a gesture of support. "Let me help you," she said softly, her voice steady and reassuring. She wanted to offer him solace, to mend the wounds that ran deeper than the physical pain he was experiencing.

Yet, despite her proximity, he seemed to maintain a certain distance, guarding himself against further vulnerability. It was as if he was torn between accepting her help and maintaining the walls he had carefully constructed around himself.

As she looked into his dark, enigmatic eyes, she saw a flicker of hesitation and vulnerability. It was a fleeting moment, but it spoke volumes about the complexity of the man before her. He was not merely a dark lord or a villainous figure; he was human, with emotions and struggles of his own.

"Before I start, what's this rubbish about ending the suffering of an injured creature? Don't take this the wrong way," Sophie sighed as she got down on her knees by the cauldron, "I just didn't think you were capable of such feelings." She could sense that their encounter had the potential to alter the trajectory of his future, and perhaps even her own.

"What makes you think you know everything about me?" He managed to say in between hastened breaths, "I've done things that would shock you. I-" Sophie had then cut him off. As a soothing incantation left her lips, a warm, golden light enveloped Tom, cocooning him in its comforting embrace. The pain began to subside, and she could see the tension in his body ease ever so slightly.

In that moment, she felt a profound sense of compassion for the man who had once been feared and revered by many. She saw the vulnerability in his eyes and understood that he, too, was burdened by the weight of his actions and choices.

"You were saying?" Sophie asked as she crossed her legs and leaned her back against where Tom was sitting. Tom's gaze softened, his eyes locking with hers for a fleeting moment. It was a shared moment of understanding, a glimpse into the depths of their souls, and a silent acknowledgment that they were connected in ways neither of them fully comprehended.

"I can assure you, I am well-acquainted with the darkness within me," he replied tersely, his tone cold and guarded. Tom's eyes darted away for a moment before meeting hers, the usual mask of composure slipping momentarily. There was a hint of frustration in his gaze as if he resented the fact that she had glimpsed a chink in his armor.

Sophie sensed the undercurrent of turmoil within him, the conflict between the monster he was known to be and the man grappling with his actions. Despite his dismissive response, she saw a spark of something deeper in his eyes—a glimmer of a lost soul searching for redemption.

"You don't have to bear it all alone, you know," she continued, determined to break through the façade he had erected. "We all have our pasts and our struggles. It's what makes us human."

"I do not want to be human," Tom said as he cut her off. Tom's features remained rigid, his defenses snapping back into place. "I hardly need your sympathy," he retorted, his voice laced with disdain.