*(1) Being Sorted

"Hey, you're in my spot," he uttered with a touch of playful annoyance, interrupting the silence.

A look of sheer astonishment adorned her face, rendering her speechless. Instead of coherent words, only murmurs and awestruck expressions escaped her lips, transforming into unintelligible gibberish. Attempting to rise, she promptly stumbled back down, hindered by the weight of his foot resting on her robes. Confusion flooded her mind as she wondered how she had acquired these unfamiliar garments.

"Oh, sorry," he paused, stepping off her robes, "Let me help you up." Extending his hand, he offered assistance, and she accepted it without hesitation. He lifted her to her feet with remarkable ease, prompting her to brush off the grass and dirt that clung to her robes.

"I-I can't believe it's you," she stammered, stepping closer. "Y-you're Severus Snape!"

Severus was taken aback by her sudden fascination and cautiously replied, "Yes?" His raised eyebrow conveyed a hint of curiosity as he awaited further explanation. "Do I know you?"

She paused momentarily, then hesitantly responded, "Oh, uh... no... but I know you." Her uncertainty mirrored her inner thoughts. 'Oh god... I sound like a stalker,' she silently lamented.

Undeterred, she continued, "It's a long story, but somehow, I'm here. Standing next to you." Severus began to walk away, unsettled by the girl's peculiar behavior bordering on obsession.

"Wait! Don't go!" she pleaded, her pace quickening to catch up with him. Given his less-than-athletic physique, she quickly closed the distance between them.

"My name is Sophie. It seems I'll be attending Hogwarts alongside you now." She extended her hand towards him, and he looked down at it.

This time, he hesitated before finally accepting her hand. "Since you already know my name, there's no need for introductions," he said, shaking her hand. His touch was cold, bony, and oddly intriguing to her. As she grasped the hand of the man she admired, she couldn't help but feel a sense of connection. She wondered why such a brave individual wasn't sorted into Gryffindor.

"Speaking of which," she said aloud, "I need to see those pestering fools."

"Pestering fools?" Severus questioned, his gaze fixed on her with intensity.

"I believe you know them. Peter, Remus, Sirius, and James. Them," she replied quickly, her tone tinged with irritation.

He looked at her in astonishment before uttering, "You know them..." Pausing briefly, he continued, "And you don't like them either?" His questioning gaze searched for confirmation.

She shook her head and exclaimed, "They treat you terribly and could certainly use some manners, especially James and Sirius. Remus is somewhat sweet, but Peter... ugh, I don't even want to talk about him."

For a fleeting moment, Sophie thought she saw a smile grace Severus' lips, but it vanished as quickly as it appeared. He glanced back at the castle and said, "I'll escort you to Dumbledore. He'll know what to do with you."