(97) Being

The group then apparated to the Malfoy Manor to tell the Dark Lord of the events that took place that night.

Sophie's face immediately returned to a normal blank slate. What she had just done to the man that helped her throughout her 're-youth' to now adulthood. The trust he gave her. His beliefs in her. She betrayed him, but not really. He was dying anyway.

Dumbledore had spoken with Sophie in private before Severus and he spoke. She told him about the side effects of a Horcrux and Dumbledore showed how much further the effects had spread. His entire arm looked as though it was mummified.

It is true though, that he did expect Severus to be the one to kill him; not Sophie.

The toll had now reached her conscience and she fell on the stairs as the other death eaters continued going up. She started breathing in deeply and exhaling the same way. Severus stayed behind.

"Are you alright?" Severus asked as he sat on the step next to her.

"Not really, no. Firstly killing Albus and then..." She paused while showing her arm to Severus, "Harry touched me."

"What does he touching your arm have to do with this damage?"Severus asked as he touched the area softly.

"You remember Quirrell, right?" Sophie asked as she leaned on Severus' shoulder.

"Of course, that dunderhead is hard to forget," Severus said.

"The way he died was due to Harry touching him because he was a vessel for Voldemort. Harry's connection to him is what destroyed Quirrell. When Harry carried the Horcruxes, they weren't affected like Quirrell because Voldemort placed charms and curses on his objects," Sophie said while stopping Severus' hand from moving further.

"So, why does it affect you when you said you are a Horcrux? That's different than the Dark Lord possessing your body like Quirrell," Severus said.

"I... don't know. I didn't think Harry would do anything like that anyway," she said as she stood up.

"Well, we have time to solve it, if that's a bright side we can take from this," Severus said as he joined her, standing.

"I hope so," Sophie said as she began walking up the stairs with Severus at her side.

//////////////////////

"Ah, there she is," Sophie heard a voice say as she rounded the final corner of the staircase, "our... hero of the night."

"Hero?" Sophie whispered to Severus as they both took their seats. He nonchalantly shook his head as they sat down.

"If it weren't for your bravery tonight, we wouldn't have acquired what's in your pocket," Voldemort said as he pointed towards Sophie.

"I wouldn't necessarily call it bravery, sir," Sophie said as she made eye contact with him. The mood in the room seemed to shift as soon as she entered. The members seemed calmer for some reason. If she was there to grab the Dark Lord's attention, the Death Eaters could breathe in peace for once.

"However you'd like to call it, you did an excellent job, now," he said as he looked at the dead body in front of him, "Nagini, enjoy," Voldemort said as Nagini slid up his arm and onto the table. She looked as though she had just shed her skin. For a snake, she did look beautiful.

The next thing she knew, blood splattered across Sophie's face. It was from a body that was on the table to the side of her: the father of a muggle family that lived across from the Dursleys. Sophie didn't know the name of the family, but she recognized the man and he lived in that area. She stared at the figure that approached Voldemort from behind and made him watch as she wiped the blood off her face.