(98) Them

A familiar face stood before Sophie on the crisp rainy day: Mytho, the human form of the white raven Korax.

"A right? I think I have every right in existence. Otherwise, I wouldn't be fit to keep the flow of time on its track," Mytho said as he sat down in the swing Sophie was sitting in, "Also, I figured it was time to tell you what... what exactly I am," he said as he eyed her down.

Her mind erased itself of magic for the time being. He was here again. Her childhood. A figment of her imagination, or so she thought...

"Go on. I have a few days to spare," Sophie said while joining him in the swing.

"Goodness, where oh where do I start," Mytho played as he cracked his knuckles and relaxed in the swing, "First thing I'll start with: you didn't make me up."

Sophie raised an eyebrow, "And how's that. I clearly remember drawing you most of my childhood and into the teens as well."

"Because I was in your mind. How else would you know what to draw and give 'life' to," he said in quotation marks, "and what I am shouldn't be directly forced into a child's mind... especially not yours. You're one of the more interesting ones I've encountered in my hojillion years of existence. Almost as feisty as those three brothers."

Sophie didn't like where this was going, "What do you mean? What are you? What do you mean hojillion? That amount of time isn't even possible."

"You do realize I just said I'd explain all that, correct?" Mytho said as he rolled his eyes, "You humans make me regret existing in the first place."

"Continue, I won't interrupt again," Sophie said while facing him with her body.

"As you know, you refer to me by the name Mytho, meaning 'that of myth' or myths in general. This is because there have been many tales and accounts of me and I'm someone that everyone imagines in their mind. The reason for my existence is to keep time in check. Whether it be the flow of events or..." he paused staring at Sophie with a cocked head, "Guiding them to the afterlife."

Sophie's eyes opened wide, "W-what? Are you implying you're like the fates in Greek Mythology mixed with death itself?"

"That is a half-truth yes, but more commonly known as death. The real name of my being for this universe is Quietus: the release of pain, or as I established earlier death," he said while acting like this wasn't complete buffoonery.

"Um, alright, then... why did you appear in the real world? Unless there isn't a truly real-world..." Sophie said, beginning to doubt her existence.

"That is the true world, and I will tell you to know, most religions get it wrong with their 'multi-god' beliefs. There is one who oversees all. The world's religions of Judaism, Islam, and Christianity all have the same God, but different ways of approaching him. But enough talk about that, people may get angry," he said as he fake zipped his mouth.

"That doesn't explain why I have been singled out and that you're here talking with me. If anything, it's weirder than waking up as an 11-year-old in front of my favorite person of all time," Sophie said as she leaned back and faced the tree leaves once more.

"And who do you think brought you to this 'world'?" Quietus asked so calmly.

"I never really had time to think about who... but more so the how's and why's... I can only assume this is a wish sort of thing with fate or some nonsense about a whimsical act of kindness by you," Sophie said while sighing and rubbing her eyes.

"I am not the one who makes the decisions on people's lives, I'm just here to make sure everything falls in place. I'm given the script and am expected to bring it to life," Quietus answered.