Chapter 12; Meeting Zane

Start from the beginning

I walked for about five or ten minutes, heading to Axel's house, but then I heard something.
It sounded... Snake like.
Like scales slithering quickly across the bark of a tree.
I looked up in the trees, but I couldn't see anything but a few birds nestled in the high branches.

But then I heard it again, but this time it sounded like scales against soil, right beside my feet.
I looked around my feet but saw nothing. But then I heard it again, and I saw the soil and leaves on the ground flying up quickly as if something were running across it, but there was nothing, nobody there.

I heard it climb up the tree now, and saw some of the bark on the tree breaking off and falling onto the ground. Then it all stopped.
No more sound or movement.
I was paused, holding my breath.
I peered closely at the tree, then I spotted it. There was a bit of dust that seemed to be floating in front of the tree. Whatever that was, it seemed to be able to camouflage. Maybe a lizard of some sort.

One, Two, Three!
I jumped at the tree my hands out so I could grab whatever that was.
But a second before I tripped and my face crashed into the tree, I heard the same sound as before, like something was moving hurriedly away.
I sat on my knees, with my head leaning against the tree as I sighed from the effort and pain of that useless attempt.
"What's the big hurry little queen?"
A males voice said from above me.
I quickly leaned back and looked up, my eyes meeting with the pupil-less white eyes of a dragon.

I yelped and jumped back, falling backwards onto the ground.
I could see it properly now, it was a long green snakelike dragon, with completely white eyes, wrapped around the tree. It had frills on the sides of its face and obviously, wings.

 It had frills on the sides of its face and obviously, wings

It wasn't a very large dragon at all.
I had never seen such a small dragon in my life. It was the size of an average snake perhaps.
I looked around for the source of the voice, but found nothing, nobody.
"Over here!" The males voice called, and that's when it clicked in my mind.
I stood up slowly and carefully.
"Y-you can... Talk?" I asked quietly, my voice barely audible.
"Why yes I can. I'm rather like a parrot, I can easily adapt to other languages." The dragon said.
I had a mix of emotions running through my body, fear, excitement and disbelief were the main things I felt. "W-what are you doing here?" I asked. In my mind, I was sure this was a dream, but it somehow felt so real. "Spying. Do that all the time." It said calmly.
"You... Spy on me?" I huffed.
"Yes, is there something wrong with that?" He asked daringly. If he were a human, I would've began an argument, but he wasn't, he was a dragon.

"So, what's your name?" He asked.
I raised an eyebrow. "I thought you always spied on me? Shouldn't that be one of the first things you found out?" I asked, forcing myself to sound calm and argumentative as I usually do.
"Well, I am aware of your name, but it is human manners to ask that isn't it? That's normally what you say when you meet someone? What's your name, how are you, where do you live... You know, that kind of stuff.
Or am I getting confused with apes? You are more similar than you might think, you know?" The dragon spoke.
"Um, well, yes, normally." I replied nervously.
The dragon stared at me expectedly.
"Oh right! I'm Lian." I said quickly.
"Right, I'm Zane." he replied.
"That's a human name?" I asked in surprise.
"Believe it or not, a lot of animals share the same names." Zane said.
"Oh.." I said slowly, then walked slowly towards him.
"Are there other dragons like you?" I asked. I mostly wanted to know, so I know if I'm being spied on by others.

"No... I think I'm the only one.." Zane said quietly. "Not even a mother or father?" I asked in surprise.
"The dragon General adopted me when I was still an egg, and him and his mate raised me. I've never seen another dragon like me." Zane explained with a note of sadness in his voice.

I was standing in front of him now.
I felt bad for him. It was hard being different and I knew that from experience. I reached out my hand and cautiously pet his cold scaled skin. "I'm sorry." I said.
"W-what are you doing?" He said awkwardly as he climbed a little higher up the tree so I couldn't reach him. I pulled my hand back towards my sides awkwardly.
"Oh, right, I was.. Well.. Petting you." I said then laughed awkwardly.
"You mean the animal massage?
Dragon tip #1, we don't like petting."
Zane said, with an almost disgusted tone.

17/July/2019BlueWhiskers1Dragon AgeChapter 12; Meeting Zane

17/July/2019
BlueWhiskers1
Dragon Age
Chapter 12; Meeting Zane.
1624 Words.