Chapter 25 Pt. 2

Chapter 25 Pt. 2

--Elspeth--

 It was amazing the way the evening had panned out. And I was shocked that I was dancing with Clay. The reception was all fun as Clay and I danced our ways into oblivion. But my stamina was running its course and I just wanted to rest.

“Alright, water break.” I concluded, shooting Clay a tired smile.

Clay's smile fell for a second—he almost looked lost but he recovered quickly. He took hold of my hand while I tried to make sense of what just happened.

Thatcher and his new husband were surrounded by the wedding guests. All were eager to see exactly what brought upon this new interest Thatcher had and where Rueben had been hiding all this time. I, for one, thought it was adorable since Thatcher really looked happy for once in his life and didn’t seem as if he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. It was good that he got himself out there.

It sure made a lot of sense why he always flaunted his “girlfriends” around. It was almost as if he had to prove to himself that he wasn’t what he thought he was. But he really was, if that makes any sense.

I gulped down the water that Clay handed me and he chuckled at my response. My heart melted at the sound of those rich baritones. I nearly shivered.

“Weren’t your parents supposed to come?” Clay asked me.

I nodded, “They only come for the reception which means they should be arriving soon.”

“Who’s ready to par-tay?” Someone said from the entrance of the huge ballroom.

I turned my head to see my father and my mother both with bottles of champagne in their hands. Oh no.

“Darn it Clay, you jinxed me.” I complained.

Clay chuckled and I shivered. He pinched at my nose while I stuck my tongue out at my nemesis.

Sigh, who was I kidding, he was far from my nemesis. If anything he was turning into another one of my best friends.

“Come on, are you done with your water break?” Clay asked, holding out his hand to me.

We seemed to be doing a lot of that today, hand-holding. It was nice.

I nodded before taking his hand and then joining him on the dance floor. Although Clay didn’t have too many moves he still knew how to keep up with the beat and at least look as if he had a bit of rhythm. Even though I wasn’t much better, I was never the best dancer.

Suddenly, the music stopped and everyone looked towards the stage. I wasn’t too surprised to find my crazy parents standing by the microphone, looking a little tipsy if I do say so myself. I’m just happy that I’m grown, if I was a young child, surely this would traumatize me.

“It’s never a party without the Ardens isn’t it?” Thatcher asked while coming to stand before us.

My heart leapt into my throat. I knew that Clay still had to pay Thatcher money and I wasn’t quite sure if Thatcher had changed since being with Rueben or if he was the same callous man he had been before.

Rueben was clutching Thatcher’s arm like a life line although I wasn’t surprised. Meeting all these new people must be not only new but frightening for the guy. And like Clay had told me right after the ceremony, Rueben looked like a saint in comparison to his husband.

“Elspeth, Clay, I would like you to meet Rueben. Rueben these are friends of my nephew, Richard.”

“Oh yes, nice to meet you. Thatcher has told me so much about you two.” Rueben explained.