Chapter 6

One day when I came home at lunchtime,

I heard a funny noise.

Went out to the back yard to find out if it was,

One of those rowdy boys.

Stood there with my neighbor called Peter,

And a Flux Capacitor.

He told me he built a time machine.

Like one in a film I've seen,

Yeah... he said...

I've been to the year 3000

Not much has changed but they lived under water.

And your great great great grand daughter,

Is doing fine

Chapter 6

--Clay--

I sighed as I emptied another beer can and then threw it to the floor at my feet. As I looked to my side, Micky was sitting on our leather couch with his hand splayed across his stomach with a beer mustache above his chapped lips. You could always use a couple of beers after having some mint chocolate ice cream.

Yum.

Not. 

I was feeling sick to my stomach all of a sudden, and as I looked over at Trixi who was watching the television with interest that I couldn't obtain, I sighed.

Trixi looked over at me and then at her best friend with a bit of pity. As she reached over and took the rest of the beer we left out into her hands her necklace bounced against the nape of her neck and I eyed the gold cross.

I couldn't believe how committed she was to her religion, it was almost astonishing. She brought the beers to the refrigerator and returned with two bottle of water. "You want one?" she asked me.

I nodded and caught the bottle she threw me and immediately unscrewed the top. My feet were perched on the coffee table as Trixi played with Mickey's hair while he slept, the television playing softly in the background.

The water cooled me down and sobered me up just enough for all of my troubles to come rushing back to the forefront of my mind. I shook my head in denial trying not to remember my parents; Elspeth; all of the drinking that I've been indulging myself in; all of the other girls that have thrown themselves over me; or my studies. 

Trixi broke me out of my thoughts, her voice light and delicate as it chimed through the humid air, "Have you considered taking that job my father offered you yet?" she asked.

I sighed and ran my hand over my face, thinking the matter over. My parents were close to disowning me, so finding a job was imperative. And after Trixi suggested the position that was open at her father's plumbing company called Stevens Bros. Plumbing, this was a chance that I should definitely take.

I nodded, "My parents think that I have to do something with my life, ever since I walked out of that house it's been hell. I'm surprised they haven't stopped helping me pay off my college loans."

Trixi sighed while still playing with the strands of Micky's hair, "I'm sure you'll figure something out, don't get so down on yourself, I mean at least you'll be able to take your frustration out on rusty pipes." 

I snorted, "The most I can do with this kind of job is just stand, watch, and learn." I explained and became lost in thought once again while Trixi went back to watching TV.