Chapter 24

Chapter 24

 --Elspeth--

I couldn't sleep. After my brief nap and the huge dinner I had with all of my friends, I couldn't find it in me to close my eyes and indulge in some "wonderful" dreams.

Missy was sleeping on the pillow next to mine and I envied my little kitten for being able to drift off so easily. I laid there for about two more minutes before I jumped up and out of my bed and headed out of my room. I couldn't bring myself to sit there any longer and bore myself to death.

It was only one in the morning so if I stopped by Caroline's house I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

I gave myself a facepalm for that one. She most definitely would mind. Richard and Holly would definitely be turning in early for the night not to mention my grandmother would since the doctor recommended she do so. There was no way she was risking another serious visit with the doctor of that I was sure.

The only person who could possibly be awake at this hour would be Clay. But frankly, I was afraid of talking to him especially after I found out about my feelings. I mean, now it was all sinking in. Before, when I had talked to him about his frat boy days, the shock was still registering, but now that I've realized the severity of the situation, there were many a things that were stopping me from going over to the boys' apartment.

I was just arriving in the living room when I heard someone banging on a door and quite loudly too. My brow furrowed in confusion, but that same curiosity led me to investigate. I walked towards the front door and opened it just a crack

I was surprised with the scene before me.

There, pounding on the door with determination was Veronica. Tears were leaking down her cheeks and her chest was heaving up and down in adrenaline as she pounded the door with abandon. "Kris! I know you're in there! Kris!" she yelled.

I knew that everyone on this floor was ready to kill Veronica which meant I had to calm her down. I didn't want our neighbor Mrs. McGreenie to come out with her shovel, prepared to beat her demands into Veronica's skull. That wouldn't be too nice now would it?

"Veronica? What are you doing?" I asked her. The sound of her fist making contact with the wooden door was starting to annoy me.

When she looked over at me with glossy eyes and I froze. This was a new side of Veronica that I had never seen before and I didn't know how she was going to respond to someone seeing her so weak. I nearly screamed bloody murder as she lunged towards me.

She's going to kill me! My time has come!

I nearly started struggling as her arms wrapped around my neck. 

She's strangling me with her limbs! Her... hugging limbs.

She was hugging me? Veronica was hugging me?

Her arms were wrapped around my neck as she cried away, sobbing uncontrollably. I stood there shocked. I didn't know how to respond to this at all.

Suddenly the door to the boys' apartment opened and I saw Clay standing by the archway of the door, without a shirt on and smiling at the exchange with approval. "Well I see the Wicked Witch has broken down." Clay exclaimed.

"Clay!" I shouted. Veronica was fragile and I didn't want her to get anymore broken than she already was. Call me too nice, but Veronica and I had been friends at one point in time.

"'Kris' isn't here right now. He went out partying with Micky and Josh. Probably wanted to sleep a random girl to get some anger off of his chest."