Chapter 26

Chapter 26

--Elspeth-

Clay wasn’t there when I woke up this morning and the note next to the beside table told me that he had something to take care of. Which didn’t cure my curiosity whatsoever. But I also had some things to take care of.

As I got ready my mind fluttered back to the other day. I sighed when I remembered Jimmy. That must’ve been what Veronica was apologizing for when she had come to ask for my help. Well apology accepted only because I don’t want any more bad blood between Veronica and I but I wasn’t sure how my grandparents were going to get past this.

Well my grandmother was content as long as she had her cookies, but my grandfather was more distraught. Poor Jimmy, he didn’t deserve that.

I sighed. I would have to figure something out.

After a good shower and breakfast, I was out of the door. Riki wasn’t home which led me to believe that she was over at the guy’s place. Riki and Osi were going to be the death of me. They were as into one another as any one could get.

I stopped in my steps as I remembered something else from yesterday. My heart leapt out of my chest and my hand clutched at my throat in disbelief. Did sleepy Elspeth Arden tell Clay that she loved him? Oh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no.

“This can’t be happening.” I muttered to myself as I clutched my wet raven strands.

“What can’t be happening?” Someone asked.

I was standing right at the foot of the stairs that led to the first floor and there was Clay standing right in front of me. My entire face turned red and he seemed to smile as if he knew something I didn’t know.

“Um… well, it seems that Artie needs a new tire and silly me had forgotten until now.” I playfully hit myself  in the head as if to say “my bad.”

Clay chuckled and then looked down at me, his milky brown eyes smoldering. “Artie needs a lot of new things. But that’s not what you were thinking about.”

“Alright, well nice talking to ya, see you later!” I chirped before dancing out of his way and sprinting out of the building. Jeez, that was close.

Way to embarrass yourself Elspeth!

I shook my head as I made my way to Artie. She did need a lot of new things-a new paint job for sure.

As I made my way to Trinity Church, I thought about why I was going there. I needed to know that I was making the right decision with getting rid of Riven. I had forgotten about him all weekend as I had been too busy with Clay, but now it’s time to really decide what I want.

Did I want to get rid of Riven? My heart was telling me yes, but head was telling me no. There were so many things that I could learn from him as far as being a caring person goes. And Riven was a great guy, he helped out at the Church and the soup kitchen. Maybe when he went to smoke it was just one slip up. Maybe his smoking isn’t all that serious, maybe I’m making a big deal out of nothing.

He’s the safe choice. Pick what your heart wants.

“Well what do you want Conscience because you’re killing me here.” I told myself as I pulled into the church’s parking lot.

The building was becoming aged yet it still held all of its majestic qualities. The stained glass windows had to be one of my favorite parts about the church. The windows seemed to stain the grass before it and cast colorful shadows around the trees. It was all just beautiful.

I hummed as I walked up the steps and headed inside. I went straight to the office, wanting to know if I could talk to Riven myself.

There was a nice looking lady manning the front desk and she gave me a warm smile as I approached. Her red glasses glinted from the fluorescent lighting as she asked, “What do you need dear?”