Chapter 15

Chapter 15

--Elspeth--

It was killing me not to know what Riven and Clay had talked about but I forced myself not to dwell on the things that might upset me. And an argument between Riven and Clay was definitely something that would upset me.

But focusing on the "now" seemed like a good thing. Especially since in the now, Clay was making a fool of himself on a pair of skates. His feet were doing this odd shuffling thing as we slowly skated around in circles. His fluffy winter coat did nothing to protect him from the cold seeing as he was constantly shivering and his nose was slightly red. 

"Are you sure you have this Clay?" I  asked him. He was clutching my forearm, trying not to end up with his backside on the ice once again.

He shivered, "Yeah, I got this. I sooo got this." He stammered almost slipping again as a passing skater bumped him in the shoulder.

"Hey pal! Say excuse me next time." Clay called out. The man turned around to give him an apologetic smile before he sped off to his kids who were shuffling on the ice just like Clay. I giggled, at least he wasn't alone in his struggles.

"Oh God even the little kids are getting at this than I am." Clay gestured towards the children who were passing us up, laughing as they turned in circles and weaved their way through the other skaters.

I shook my head at him, knowing that he could do it, he was just too nervous to put his whole effort into it. " I know you can do it. Just try to move your feet more, think light and graceful think-"

I was cut off from my speech when he went too graceful and slid down to the ice, almost doing a split on his way down. I yelped as he brought me down with him, both of our limbs tangling together. We tried to stop our momentum on the ice as we slid but it was no use. Clay chuckled when we finally stopped and I looked at him with narrowed eyes.

"That wasn't exactly the graceful I was going for." I commented.

He blushed, "I'm sorry, but I'm never going to get this, now... how about nachos?"

I huffed as we laid there on the ice, getting lightly sprayed with droplets of slush from the other skaters that passed us by. "Just like a man aren't you?"

"Well I wouldn't want to be anything else." Clay smiled.

He brought his hands around my waist, our legs still tangled together and our skates clicking against one another. I laid my head on his chest as I looked down at his perfect face. "Are we getting up anytime soon?" I laughed.

"Come on now, I could lay here forever. This is what ice skating is really all about." 

I rolled my eyes at Clay. "Aren't yo cold with your back on the ice? I mean, we've to get up some time."

He shook his head and from that dangerous smirk and twinkle in his eyes I knew he was suddenly up to no good. "Not when your body is here to heat me up. You seem to have a way of turning me on without even trying Arden."

Now it was time for my nose and cheeks to turn red. I looked away from him and laid my head on his chest, unable to go too deep in thought with his embarrassing comment. I sighed contently from our position but my body was still stiff from the cold and Clay's statement.

"I'msorry." He blurted, his words coming out in a rush.

My eyebrows scrunched together in confusion and I brought my chin to settle on his chest so I could look down at the horrible skater..

"What are you sorry for?" I questioned.

Clay took one of my hands that were laying on his side and intertwined our fingers. His eyes bled with regret as he looked me dead in the eyes with his milk chocolate orbs. The blood that was pumping through my veins ran cold. He was serious.