Chapter 23

So we burst into colors, colors and carousels,

Fall head first like paper planes in playground games

Next thing we're touching

You look at me it's like you hit me with lightning

Ahhhh

Oh, everybody's starry-eyed

And everybody goes

Oh, everybody's starry-eyed

And my body goes

Whoa oh oh ah ah

Whoa oh oh ah ah

Whoa oh oh

Chapter 23

--Elspeth--

Clay winced as I dabbed the cut on his cheek with peroxide. He seemed to be doing a lot of that lately.

"Lay off on the wounds would ya?" Clay scowled while he jostled about. He was making this too hard. I was only trying to examine his face. I needed to make sure that every cut and bruise was tended to. The last thing Clay needed was an infection from those goons' grimy hands.

"Would you hold still Barclay? You're messing up the examination here." I grumbled.

He groaned before freezing in his seat and allowing me the time to take a good look at his face and body. Everything seemed to be tended to and bandaged. He was finally finished.

"Alright, all done." I chirped before heading over to the first-aid kit to pack everything up.

"Great, do I get a lollipop now?" Clay sarcastically asked.

"I swear you two are like an old married couple." Riki but in before I could come up with a catty comeback.

Everyone was currently in Riki and I's kitchen, filling their faces with ice cream while I had bandaged Clay. Riki was eating her mint chocolate chip ice cream like there was no tomorrow while I scrunched up my nose in disgust. She really did love her some ice cream. I, for one, just didn't happen to like how slimy ice cream was when it slid down your throat. Not to mention how artificial most of the ice cream tasted. It wasn't a treat I found too appealing.

Clay chuckled while my cheeks turned an embarrassing red like they always did. I brushed my hair out of my eyes to brush it off although I'm sure my best friend knew she had ruffled some feathers. "Anyway, are you just going to eat ice cream for dinner or do I actually have to cook up something?" I asked my best friend with a bit of a bite to my voice.

A hand flew to her heart as she brought herself up to sit on our kitchen counters. Osi was standing next to her, leaning against the counter with a similar cup of ice cream in his hands. Kristoff was off in his own world, picking at his cup while looking lost in thought. I was sure he was thinking about Veronica. After all, he wanted to have a conversation with me about her.

"Someone's in a bad mood today." Riki added, just trying to be dramatic.

I playfully rolled my eyes at my best friend before walking over to the fridge. Clay went to grab a bowl of ice cream for himself. Pulling the large tub that sat on our kitchen island towards his large frame. I could just see the hunger in his eyes. Someone really wanted some ice cream I was guessing.

"Well it hasn't been the best day so far." I added.

Riki gave Osi a conspiratorial grin before singing, "We had a great day, it was a super way. To spend sometime together!"