1.

Margaret King
The Kings were the most notorious modern day gangsters in London.
They ruled the streets through cunning, fear, and intelligence.
As husband and wife they made their thousands.
They were smart people. Eli King, my father, and Ruth King, my mother, we're respected by all around them.
Yet society grew fearful as the King family started expanding.
First came my brother Carter, and then three years later, I came along, fulfilling my parents wishes for a boy and a girl.
Why my parents named me Margaret would always be a wonder for me. No one called me Margaret. Ever. It was always Maggie, or Margot, or in Carters case, maggot. If ever I was called Margaret, I knew I was one hundred percent in deep deep trouble.

It was essential that as soon as Carter and I could walk, we were taught how to fight, both with our hands, and with weapons.
The first time I fired a gun, I was eight.
Carter excelled in hand to hand fighting, like mother.
I excelled with weapons, just like my father.
We spent most of our days listening to our parents dealings and being taught how to make deals, how to handle money, and how to fight.
We were homeschooled.
Our parents felt it not necessary to put us through state school education. They felt it more important for us to learn their tricks of the trade.
My father taught me the tricks. I was to be the behind the scenes child. I was the one who would figure out the plans, and tag along in case things got violent.
Carter was the face. He was the seller. The one people saw. He didn't want to partake in violence if he didn't have to. That was my job.
Our parents observed us and stayed in the shadows. They managed the money me and Carter made, they would sort out the lawyers and the police if ever I went too far with the violence or if people caught onto us. That, so far, has only happened a few times.

Our little family was strong. We didn't need anyone else. Everything was good the way it was, before everything changed.

Me and Carter were called into our parents work space, our large basement. It was an open, light space, weapons, plans and blueprints dotted around everywhere.
"Sit" my mother ordered and we sat on the modern white chairs at the large glass table.
Mother and father sat opposite us.
"Maggie, How old are you?" My mother said and I rolled my eyes.
"Eighteen" I sighed.
"And what would eighteen year old girls usually be doing?" She asked and I glanced to my father. He just looked away.
"If they were me? Or if they were normal?" I asked and she smiled.
"If they were a normal teenage girl"
"Erm. Dating boys, going to parties, probably going to university" I shrugged and she nodded.
"You're not allowed to do the first one" Dad interjected and I snorted.
"Boys are scared of me dad." I giggled and the rest of my family joined in.
"Sucks to be you maggot. I get all the girls" Carter winked and I shoved him away.
"Stop calling me maggot" I said and he scoffed.
"It suits you. You're chubby like a maggot" he chuckled to himself.

I pulled my little pistol out of my underwear and pointed it at his head.
"Mum told you you're not allowed to pull your weapons on me!" Carter whined.
"Shut up you prick" I said and clicked the safety off the gun.
"Margot put it down" Dad laughed.
"Don't encourage her Eli. Maggie what have I said about using weaponry against Carter?" She sighed, and I clicked the safety back on and shoved it back down my trousers.
"Darling, remember what we discussed about not keeping your gun in your pants, it's not hygienic" Mum fussed.
"Well I can't have it sticking out my pocket can I?" I argued.
"Why do you think we stitched inside pockets in all your jackets?" She asked, raising her eyebrow.
"That's not why we've called you both here" Dad said and we immediately listened.

This didn't feel like a usual meeting about a deal or a, shall we say, situation.
This felt almost awkward.
Nothing in his family was awkward.
"What's maggot done?" Carter grinned and I rolled my eyes, this time pulling a small knife from my boot.
"Carter, stop putting fuel on the the fire, Maggie, all weapons on the table. Now" Mum said.
I rolled my eyes again, taking out my gun from my underwear and the two knives I had in my boots.
"All weapons Maggie" Dad smirked.
I reached down my top and pulled out a small throwing star from my bra.
"That's it" I said putting my hands up.
"You're so weird" Carter laughed staring at my weapons.
"No, I'm just prepared"
"Can I please get to the point of this meeting!?" Mum exclaimed, running her hands through her hair.

I folded my arms and nodded.
"Maggie, you're going to university" Mum sighed and I immediately laughed.
"Funny" I giggled and Carter snorted.
"Good one Mum" Carter laughed and I nodded.
"Your mothers not joking" Dad sighed staring at us both.
"Dad,"
"Maggie we need you to go" Mum said and I shook my head.
"I've not taken any exams. I can't get in to a university" I said throwing my arms out.
"You've taken exams Margot, you just didn't know it. And we've already sent your application off" Dad explained but I wasn't having it.
"I'm not going"
"Yes you are. You have to"
"No I don't. I've been home schooled all these years, why now are you sending me to school?!" I said pushing my chair back.
"Law. That's what you're studying."
"Law? A well known gangster child studying law? Are you out of your minds?!"
"You've already been accepted to London Government Central" Dad said and I couldn't stop myself.

I picked up one of my knives from the table and threw it at the cork material board my parents had installed for when I had tantrums like these.
"London Government Central? Are you kidding me?! That's where all the posh goodie two shoes kids go!" I groaned.
"And that's where you're going. You start next week" Mum said and I threw another knife.
"Next week! I still don't understand why!"
"Firstly, if we send one of our children to school the police and government will get off of our backs and think we've opted for a more normal life, secondly, it's always good to know about the law Maggie. If you know the law inside and out, you can easily work out the loopholes" Mum grinned and that's when I realised that that's why Dad had a degree in law.
"Why can't Carter do it?"
"Margot stop whining. Your mother has chosen you to do it" Dad said.
"So you don't want me to go?" I grinned.
"Well no"
"Eli," my mum said, her warning voice on.
"Ruth," my dad mocked.
"You're going Maggie. That's final. Start packing up your things" Mum said, "meeting over" she sighed before walking back up the basement steps.
Carter followed her up like a little lost puppy.

"Please don't make her send me there." I pouted.
"I've already helped you enough. She wanted to send you away away. Out of the country. But I told her you had to stay in London" he said and I nodded.
"Thank you"
"You'll be ok Margot. You just have to learn that you can't pull your weapons out every time you get pissed off. I'm serious." He said but there was a small smirk playing on his lips.
"Well if people didn't piss me off then I wouldn't have to use them" I shrugged.
"You're a smart girl. Smarter than your brother. You just show them"
"They'll all know who I am already"
"And they'll probably think that your shit on the bottom of their shoe. But you show them what Maggie King can do ok?" He smiled and I nodded.
"I won't disappoint you" I smiled as he smiled more.
"I know you won't. Right come on. I'll give you a lesson while we're here" He said and I nodded.

I wasn't a normal girl. I was odd, different from the others. And I loved it.