Mateo took my hand. "I want you," he said. "I want to sleep with you. It takes everything in me to hold back. I made that rule with Gareth and maybe you think it's silly, maybe he thinks it's silly, maybe everyone thinks it's silly, but I want you to know that I'm a man of my word. I want you to know I'll never break a promise to you or anyone. I want you to know I'm dependable."

I studied him hard. I searched his deep, brown eyes and saw that he was telling the truth, but he was still holding something back. Whenever he held something back like this, it was because he wanted to appear strong and perfect in front of me so whatever he held back was due to his own insecurities. What he didn't understand was that I didn't want him to be perfect. I wanted us to be imperfect together. I wanted us to grow together.

"I love you," he said.

I decided to focus on the fact that he did want me, that he thought so highly of me, that he loved me. That melted my heart. I withdrew my hand from his, but only so I could hug him. I bent awkwardly so I could place my head on his shoulder. I could only hold that position for so long before I started to get a kink in my neck because Mateo was so much shorter than me.

"I love you too," I said and sat back up.

He wrapped his arms around my waist. He didn't try to kiss me again. That moment had passed. It was nice to feel him in his my arms, to be wrapped in his arms.

"I'm going to get my own apartment," I said.

His arms were still wrapped around me, but he pulled back slightly to look me in the eyes. "Are you sure? What about your mom?"

"I'm an adult now," I said. "She'll be lonely for a little bit, but isn't every parent when their child moves out? It is an inevitable reality. And I want to. I'm ready."

"When?"

"Soon," I said.

"If you wait until the end of November, we can get an apartment together."

This was unexpected and I was filled with a burst of happiness.

"You want to?" I asked. "Live together?"

"Yes," he said. "Unless you don't want to."

"I want to," I quickly said. "I could get an apartment now and you could move in when your lease is up here."

"No," he said. "I want to split the rent fairly with you. I can't afford to do that while I'm still paying rent on this place."

"I can just pay the full rent until you move in and then we can split it."

"No. I...just humor me please. Just wait for me. We can search out an apartment together and get one that is right for both of us."

I didn't really want to wait another month. More than a month, but instead of arguing I squeezed him tighter and said, "All right. What about Gareth?"

"He'll probably move to the dorms. He wanted to live in the dorms originally, but when we decided to be roommates we got an apartment instead."

We sat there in silence just enjoying the moment while we held each other. After some time had passed I said, "I want to go to the police station Monday between classes. Will you go with me? We probably won't have time for lunch."

"Of course I'll go with you," Mateo said.

"I think I'll tell Vincent before we go."

"When will you tell him?"

"In a few days. Sunday probably."

Mateo's arms tightened around me. His warm lips kissed my jaw. I moved so my lips met his.

The door opened. Gareth paused at the open door. "I'll come back later," he said.

"No," I said. "It's all right. I should get home."

I picked up my bag and walked to the door. Mateo followed me. "I'll see you tomorrow," he said before he tiptoed to kiss me gently on the lips.

When I got to my car, I sent a text to Vincent.

Me: Is it alright if I come over Sunday at 6? I want to discuss something with you.

Vinny: Of course. You can come over anytime. I'm truly sorry.

I didn't respond to that. I knew he was sorry and I was in the process of forgiving him, but it honestly still hurt that the person I trusted most even thought to use my greatest pain against me. I would forgive him and he would remain my best friend, but some of that trust was gone now. I believed he would fully regain my trust in time.

From My Enemy To My Love (boyxboy) ✔जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें