Chapter 3

Vincent Kinsington

I parked in my spot of the six car garage. My brother's space was empty. At least he wasn't there yet. It did appear that both my mom and dad were home. My heart began to beat in erratic spurts. It became difficult to breathe. I rubbed the palm of my hand over my heart.

"It's okay," I whispered to myself. "Don't have a panic attack." My hands trembled. I tilted my head back against the headrest of my seat as I became light headed. "It's okay. Don't let them see you like this." I took in a labored breath.

My breathing slowly evened, my shaking hands calmed, my heartbeat became steady. I clenched my jaw tightly. I could have a panic attack later. Not that I could control when they came on, but I had always managed to get myself to a private area when they came. I hadn't told anyone about them. Not even Alex. My family would use it against me if they knew.

I left the garage, ignored the circular driveway that led to the front of the house and took the path around back. The large backyard was landscaped to match the wooded area surrounding it. A mix of pines, oaks and aspens. The house sat on a tall hill overlooking the city.

The leaves hadn't started to change yet, but they would soon. The sun was beginning to set. The shadow of the sky was beginning to chase after the sun. Stars were beginning to twinkle in the east while red and orange streaks painted the west.

I stopped. I came to the back hoping I'd avoid any family, but my father sat at the wooden table on the patio. He watched the sunset in silence. I almost turned and went back to the front, but he saw me.

"Hello, father," I said politely because I would be scolded later by my mom if I didn't. He had dark brown hair that matched his dark brown eyes. He blinked at me and then turned his attention back to the sunset.

My mom came out from the sliding glass door with two flutes of white wine in her hands. She didn't notice me yet. She put one flute next to my dad's hand on the table. She took a sip from the other one as she sat next to my dad.

He murmured something to her. She turned slightly in her chair to look at me. She immediately put her hand over my dad's. The muscles in his jaw clenched tight. She always touched him more when I was around and he always touched her less. It was the opposite when they thought I wasn't there.

My mom had the same medium brown hair as I did, but she had cornflower blue eyes. My eyes were the golden brown shade of a tiger's eye stone. No one in the family had my unique colored eyes.

"Hello, mother," I said politely.

"Did you say hello to your father?" she asked. I nodded. "Go in and say hello to your grandmother. She's upstairs."

I didn't linger. I went in through the sliding glass door my mom just exited. The constriction around my heart eased immediately when I was no longer in their presence.

I stopped in the large kitchen before I headed up stairs. Priscilla and Theresa were busy with dinner. Roasted duck, asparagus, fresh rolls. They both smiled when they saw me. Theresa put down the brush she used to glaze the tops of the hot rolls. Priscilla put down the hollandaise sauce. They both hugged me at the same time.

"You need to come more often," Priscilla said. "We miss you."

"Next time you come," Theresa said, "I'll prepare your favorite."

"My dad doesn't like sliders," I said.

"Well, he doesn't need to know we make them for you," Priscilla said.

I pulled away from the two of them. I wished they were my aunts. I snatched a roll before either of them could stop me.

"Hey!" Theresa called after me, but she had a smile on her face so I knew she wasn't serious.