Chapter 28

Vincent Kinsington

It was about six when Alex knocked on my apartment door. He brought barbeque chicken with him from the place down the street and a large bottle of cola. I resisted the urge to hug him and tell him all about Chet.

"I'm sorry," I said instead.

He sighed as he put the food on my little table. "I know," he said. "And I forgive you."

"I'll never do anything like that again. And after spending time honestly looking at pictures of you and Mateo, I do think you are good together. I do think he genuinely loves you. I'm sorry I wouldn't allow myself to see it before."

Alex smiled and hugged me. "Get some plates and glasses for dinner," he said.

I went to my kitchen and retrieved two white, ceramic plates and two clear glasses. I set them on the table as Alex was already getting the food set up.

"So if I set up a dinner with you and Mateo, you'll go and be civil?"

"Yes," I said eagerly. I had to get on Mateo's good side not only because he was Alex's boyfriend but also because he was Chet's best friend. And because I had wronged him.

Alex smiled. "I'll set it up. I'm not sure when it will happen. He is busy with soccer and school and he is planning a birthday party for Chet."

"When?" I asked trying to appear uninterested.

"Friday. Do you want to come?"

Yes. "I'm not sure Mateo would want me to go."

"He'll be fine with it," Alex assured me. "You'll be there as my friend. And I don't think Chet will mind."

I was pretty sure Chet wouldn't mind. I had noticed his birthday was coming up. I had hoped to do something to celebrate in private - nothing sexual. Well, maybe in my dreams, but it would be too soon in real life. Wouldn't it?

It was good to spend time again with my friend like this. He talked about little things as we ate. He freely spoke about Mateo and I smiled instead of lecturing him on why they should break up. It was refreshing and eased my heart.

"I'm going to the police station tomorrow," Alex said as he wiped his hands on a napkin. Our plates were empty.

"To report Jason?"

He nodded.

"Do you want me to go with you?" I asked.

"No. Mateo is going with me."

"I could still go with both of you."

He smiled. "No, but thank you. I'll let you know how it goes."

"Okay," I said. I was a little disappointed he didn't want me to go, but at least he was speaking with me now and freely sharing things about Mateo. Maybe I should tell him about Chet. Except Chet had said himself he didn't want to tell anyone about us yet. I would wait until I got the go ahead from him.

Alex stayed at my place playing video games until 10:30. I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I was changing my clothes when my phone rang.

The name came up only as Don't Answer. I had saved his number to know not to answer it on the off chance he called. I let it ring and ring. Each time it rang my nerves jumped so tingles ran down my entire body. It stopped ringing. I let out the breath I had been holding. A few moments later my phone beeped to let me know I had a voicemail message.

My hand shook as I brought the phone up to my ear.

"It's me," the unfamiliar voice said. "I know you know about me. I don't want to interfere with your mother's life or yours. I just want to meet you. You don't even need to call me dad. You're attending university now right? You're probably just as smart as your mother. Can't I just...can't we just meet? You and I? Just once? I'll never contact you again after we meet if you don't want me to. I'll leave it to you, but I really hope you'll contact me."