Chapter 51

Chet Watakeekul

My alarm went off and I jerked awake. I reached over to where my phone was and quickly turned off the alarm. I groaned as I stretched. Vincent's eyes were open and blinking at me when I turned to him.

I reached out and caressed his cheek. He placed his hand on top of mine and left it there. The little stubble along his jaw pricked my palm. I sighed when I realized I wouldn't be shaving him any time soon. Not in this house. He sighed at the same time probably thinking the same thing. We smiled at each other.

"I have an extra razor you can use this morning," I said quietly. "We can buy one for you when we go to the store with my dad later."

He nodded.

"We should get up and see if anyone is in the bathroom yet," I said. He nodded again, but neither of us moved. I leaned in and put my forehead to his before rolling out of bed. He followed me as we left my room. My dad came out of the bathroom just as we arrived. His hair was slightly wet from his shower and he was freshly shaved. He smiled and nodded at us and then headed into the kitchen to make breakfast.

We got ready together to save time. We were silent so as not to wake my sister or my mom. When we came out, my mom was there waiting for her turn in the bathroom. She smiled at both of us. We went into my room and changed into clean clothes.

When we came out of my room, Kannika was in the living room waiting for her turn to go into the bathroom. She was still in her pajamas, her long black hair was scrunched up in tangles in certain places and she was yawning really wide and ugly.

She stopped when she saw Vincent. She stared at him wide eyed for a moment before she ran back into her room.

"I thought you said yesterday that you were his little sister," I called out to her. "So treat him like a brother." She peeked her head out her bedroom door. Vincent smiled kindly at her.

"That's true," she said. "I guess if you are living with us now you just have to get used to seeing me when I'm this ugly."

"You're not ugly," Vincent said.

"She is right now," I said. She hit my arm. "Come on. Let's see what's for breakfast." I pulled him into the kitchen with me.

My dad pulled cinnamon rolls out of the oven. They smelled heavenly. I sat at the table. Vincent sat next to me. I liked this. Vincent always next to me in my family house surrounded by my family.

"I just need to put the icing on," my dad said, "and then they'll be ready to eat."

"They smell delicious," Vincent said.

My dad smiled at that. "I hope you like them," he said. "I made them just for you."

Vincent didn't seem to know how to respond to that. I held his hand under the table. "I'm going to go in early to work out like usual," I said to Vincent. "You can either come with me or you can go in whenever you want. Just go to the bus stop across the street where we got off and take the same number bus to get back to the university. You remember where and the number right?"

Vincent nodded. "I think I'll go in early with you, but go to the library instead of working out. I need to use the computers to finish up an assignment now that I don't have my laptop anymore."

My dad finished with the icing and gave us each a cinnamon roll. Then he poured us both a glass of milk to go with it. My mom came in and sat on the other side of Vincent.

"Did you sleep well?" she asked Vincent. She stroked his hair in a motherly fashion. He swallowed and I could tell he was getting emotional again. He managed to keep his emotions under control this time though. It became more and more apparent that with the exception of his grandmother, his family didn't show him even the basic love and affection that every child should receive from their parents. It made me angry when I thought about it and I didn't get angry often.