Chapter Twelve: What?

Evan's POV(Oh dang you ever gonna change the POV?)

"And you're saying that even though a m-murderer is out there, you still w-want me to work?"

"Yes. Was it not clear enough the first two times?"

"Yeah, but like, a murderer is on the l-loose. Even though news is telling us to stay i-indoors this whole week?"

"Do you need to be fired?"

"Uh, no? I mean, I'm gonna n-need the money for college? Because I'm uh, g-graduating soon?"

"Then get over here and start making that money!"

"But would anyone even-"

Hung up. Evan sighed. His boss really wanted him in business. Would anyone even come?

"I'm heading out," he called out. Jeremy was about to say something, but Evan was already walking out.

"Money, that's all h-he cares about," he grumbled on his way to work. It had only been two days since he found out about the murderer. Opening the door, Evan noticed Heather was also there, looking scared and annoyed.

"Hey Evan," She said in monotone, propping her elbow up and resting her head on her hand. "I bet you five dollars nobody's even gonna come."

He walked into the back to put on his apron. "It looks like you'll be getting your five dollars. But I'll take my chances and wait for it."

Nobody was around. Not inside the store, nor outside in the streets. Heather took out a backpack and started doing homework. Evan did the same.

About two hours or so later, the door rang. Heather and Evan both jolted up in surprise, not expecting anyone to be there.

Michael stood there, tears flooding his eyes. He looked close to a panic attack, almost crying. Evan leaped over the counter.

Yes, literally swinging his legs over the counter using his hand as balance. He raced over to his friend, ignoring the amazed and shocked expression from Heather.

"Michael! What's wrong?!" He exclaimed. Michael collapsed into his arms, whimpering. Evan wrapped his arms around the boy, supporting him up.

"Jeremy..." he muttered. Evan led Michael to a table, seating him down. He himself, sat down across from the boy.

"What h-happened?" He asked softly, placing a hand on Michael's shoulder. The Filipino boy sighed.

"Jeremy's been ignoring me," he said, sniffling. "I don't know why, but he is. And I know he's your step bro and all, so do you know why?"

Evan thought for a moment. Jeremy has been acting a bit distant the past two days. He even started doing push-ups.

But seriously, ignoring Michael is just low.

"He's been off," Evan muttered. "Like, so suddenly. A-As if something was t-telling him to."

Michael sucked in a breath. He shook his head, sighing. Heather came out with one of those cup holders with three coffee's.

"I personally think coffee makes me feel better when I'm sad," she said, smiling. "Cheer up."

Evan stood up, holding his cup up. "Raise a glass t-to freedom," he said.

Michael gave a small sad laugh while Heather snorted. The three ended up talking about random things that came across their mind.

Evan got five dollars for winning the bet.