Our Destiny

I huffed out a short breath, shifting my seating on the patient's table.  I kicked my dangling feet through the stiff air of the doctor's office.

"Jessie- I wanna go home." I whined while clutching onto the edges of the table.

"You know we have to check up on the concussion." He responded, powering his phone off and stuffing it into his pocket.

"Fine.. can you at least get me a snack?"

"Sure, hon, be back soon."

I sighed and played with Reid's pendant lying on my chest.  The doorknob jiggled and the door soon gently swung open, I let out a sigh of relief, Dr.Conners.

"Good morning, Claire." She smiled, sliding into her chair and signing into her computer.

"Mornin', Conners, can you tell the worrywarts I no longer have to come to these things?"

Dr.Conners let out a light giggle, shaking her head as she typed a series of numbers into her computer.

"It's for your safety, Claire- congrats by the way." She smiled, taking her eyes away from the computer to shoot me a vibrant smile.

"..On being healthy?" I awkwardly laughed.

Dr.Conners slowly turned around to face me, I looked at her with a perplexed expression and she returned the favor.

"Claire.. you're 9 weeks pregnant."

I cocked my head at Dr.Conners, then shook my head, letting out a hearty laugh.

"Funny- but that's not possible because I'm on the pill- and I never miss a day." I laughed, watching Dr.Conner's expression twist.

"No contraceptive is 100% effective, Claire, there's always a small percentage."

I let out another small chuckle before shaking my head again.

"No. No.  I can't be- I can't.."

I took a deep breath, trying to blink through my blurring vision.

"Claire, remain calm... if this isn't what you want there are alternatives."

Dr.Conners pulled two pamphlets out of her lab coat and sat them in my hand, gently nodding to me.  I opened the pamphlets: Abortion and Adoption.  A small tear stained the pamphlet in my hand.

I'm pregnant.

"Reid would have to sign off on the adoption." She nodded, gently rubbing my shoulder.

Another tear dropped onto the clean, white tile.

Reid.

"I'll give you a minute, Claire."

I nodded, watching her leave the room.

I stood up, sobbing into my sleeve.

I'm pregnant.

How could I do this to myself? To us? This wasn't in the plan- at least not yet.

I caught my breath, staring at myself through the full body mirror.  I took a deep breath, hesitantly turning my body diagonally and lifting my shirt.  I'd become adjusted to the pouch of fluctuating weight on my stomach.  It felt almost unreal to imagine a being inside of it.  I couldn't even see a difference. 

A small vibration came from my pocket, I jumped and pulled my phone out, reading my text:

Baby ❤️🌍 : Dinner tonight, beautiful, can't wait to see you

Tears welled in my eyes, streaming down my cheeks.