A Seat at the Table

I straightened my short pencil skirt as Jessie and I walked into the quiet house. Leading ourselves into the kitchen, Reid, Laurie, and Reese sat on one side of the table, while the infamous Jodie Stewart sat on the other.

Reese flashed a sheepish smile at me and I solemnly nodded.

"Sit, baby." Reid ordered while patting the seat next to him, with subtle hints of distaste and self-perseverance in his tone.

I sat next to Reid at the well-decorated table and held in his hand in mine under it.

During the awkward silence, Jessie managed to set the table with mouth-watering food and chilling appetizers, taking a seat, remotely next to Jodie, after.

"This looks really good, Jes-"

"Let's skip to the chase, I want my baby, Reese."

I shot an irritated look at Jodie, who just rudely cut me off as if she hadn't had at least 30 minutes to speak before I even thought to open my mouth.

Reid gently squeezed my hand underneath the table, causing me to take a deep breath and take a small sip of my wine.

"Jodie, I know this and I want that too, I just think-"

"Think what? You could do better? You think you're better than me?" She quickly shot back while staring daggers at Reese.

"Jodie, do not."

Reid shook his head with a sigh as he took a bite into his bacon wrapped asparagus, visibly trying his best to hold his tongue.

"I have just as much right as you do, Reese!"

"I didn't say you didn't."

"Then fucking act like it."

I balled my fist in anger under the table. Who the hell told her she had the right to run over Reese like this? Why the hell is he taking it?

"Easy, Firecracker." Reid whispered into my ear while running his cool palm up my thigh.

"Whatever." She puffed as she poked at her steak.

The scraping of plates, annoying slurping of drinks, and the clearing of blocked throats were the only things to be heard at this moment. Reese hadn't touched his food and Jodie spent most of her time shitting on him.

"You guys, this doesn't help anything; you should discuss what's best for that precious, beautiful, innocent baby up there." Laurie said, breaking the silence and rubbing the back of Reese's palm.

"Jodie, I really want you to be here for her, for us." Reese sincerely whispered as he looked down.

"Really?" She laughed as she threw her fork down.

"Because taking my baby away and leaving me says that so fucking well."

"Jodie, I-"

"Shut the hell up you sad, lousey, sick excuse of a fiancee and father!"

Reese's beautiful, bright eyes dimmed and began to water, he lowered his head and a smirk of satisfaction spread across her lips.

Tonight is the night this bitch dies.

"Now you have crossed a line." I blurted out, gaining my well-deserved attention.

"Claire, don't-"

Before Reese could finish his plead Reid lifted his hand, silencing him.

"You are just unacceptable! We brought you here to make amends, even though you are less than deserving, and this is what you do with it, you rude, evil, deceiving trash ass brat?"