Lady Boss

"Look at it!" I squealed as I held the magazine in the air.

"It's not my first cover, Firecracker." Reid laughed as he brushed his teeth.

"Well, I'm here for this one; so it's different." I scolded him as he continued to laugh to himself.

I sat on the cabinet of Reid's bathroom sink as I admired the magazine cover, Reid stood, tall and confident, in the sexiest suit I've ever seen, on the cover of the Forbes magazine, reading: 30 Under 30

"I'm gonna go get the other magazines." I giggled as I hopped onto the floor.

I exited Reid's room and entered his office, immediately walking to his desk. Among the many papers, files, and rolls of money, a short stack of Forbes magazines sat at the edge of it. I stacked the magazines on my arms and walked towards Reid's bedroom.

In the middle of my trek, I dropped the whole stack. Great.

I sighed to myself and started to pick the magazines up when a thick manila folder caught my eye, a folder reading my name.

My folder.

I stared at the haunting, mysterious folder with a few of the magazine in my arms, while the rest were still spread around the room. It's my folder, I should read it- right? God knows what's in there, so I should too.

I slowly reached for the folder, inching closer to the packet of information with doubt and uncertainty drowning my thoughts, actions, and atmosphere.

"Claire?"

I gasped and held on to my chest as I quickly spun around, shit- Reid's in the bathroom.

"Coming!" I replied while scooping the rest of the magazines into my arms and walking towards the bedroom while the manila folder with my name printed on it haunted my peripherals.

Jessie skillfully flipped a pancake while cracking an egg at the same time, evidently impressing himself as well as Camilla and I.

"One day you're gonna fuck up and ruin the whole thing." I warned while squeezing oranges.

"When that day comes the fuck up will be delicious." He responded while whisking a bowl of eggs.

I laughed as I went to check my lit phone.

Mally (best friend) 💋: Is she ready yet??

I sighed to myself after reading the message, then frowned once I saw Camilla read it as well.

"Don't answer that." She sharply demanded while placing her bowl in the dishwasher.

"Cam, I'm trying to give you time to heal, but I can't ghost her forever- she's my best friend."

Jessie lowered his head at the slight mention of Mal as he quietly plated and wrapped the food.

"I love you, Camilla, and I'm trying. Let's go, Jess, the show starts in 30."

Jessie and I arrived at the packed fashion show and I quietly thanked the heavens for my staff parking benefits.

"Okay, so you can hang out backstage while I do what I have to do; then sit in the crowd with my family when the show starts." I informed him as I searched the car for all of my papers.

"Cool." Jessie smiled as he gave me three of my missing sheets.

A month ago, at the brink of my recruitment to the VanDrouth team, another fashion show began to flourish. As an intern, I had to do and catch up on a lot of the groundwork for it, getting it off of its feet and onto the red carpet.