31. Leaving Memory Lane

Chen Hua pulls up to the airport drop off zone in her red BMW.  

"I'll pick you up at 8."  Chen Hua says as De Yi opens the car door.

"Thanks."  De Yi turns to her and says it again.  "Thank you."

"It's not that big of a deal."  Chen Hua pets her car dashboard.  "I like showing off my present from you."

De Yi looks about; so many couples and loving families saying goodbye.  He realizes how Chen Hua has earned a place in his life in the past few months.

It's time to be fair to her. He says to himself.

"When I get back," De Yi starts.  "Let's start anew."

Chen Hua looks misty eyed but then smiles brightly.  "Are you saying that you are able?"

He hesitates.  

"Let me think about it."  She haughtily says, but her eyes are smiling.  "If you can come back as the old De Yi."

Just like that. She drives off, honking people out of her way.

"Hello.  Manager Ming."  De Yi answers his phone.

On the other end, Manager Ming is at the new tea house, inside the large and exclusive mall.  The waitresses are being briefed and setting up the tables, getting ready for the grand opening.

"President Chin," Manager Ming says.  "Are you on your way?"

"I will be there in about 2 hours."  De Yi checks his watch.  "Is everything ready?"

"Would you like to take a look?"  Manager Ming smiles happily.

He turns on the video feature and does a round about.

On the other side of the widow, Xian Ling / Ping Ping and Tao Zhen, along with several workers set out big floral baskets, with congratulatory banners for the grand opening.  

The camera sweeps by just as Xiang Ling turns to take a box from Tao Zhen.  She walks in holding the box containing multiple floral arrangements. The assistant manager comes up to greet her.

"These are for the tables."  Xiang Ling / Ping Ping takes one out.  Individual branches of plum flower are set in custom made ceramic bases that look like tree trunks.  Unique bonsai arrangement.  Beautiful and understated.

"Lovely."  The assistant manager smells.  "And so fresh."

She motions for the waitresses.  "Come and help set these out."

As one of the waitress comes towards them, Xian Ling freezes and stares at the uniform, particularly the emblem on the uniform.  It is the one she's been drawing from memory.

Such a shock that she drops the box of flowers.  The crash causes a commotion.

"Ai ya!"  The assistant manager exclaims.  "What's the matter with you!"

"What happened?" De Yi asks.

"Nothing."  Manager Ming quickly diverts the camera away from the scene, as Xian Ling/Ping Ping bends to pick up the boxes.  "Just a clumsy delivery girl."

"Has Lou Yang Fei's office contacted you?"

"Yes."  Manager Ming smiles broadly.  "Her manager has called many times and we have everything prepared."

"The Press?"

"At least 10 major papers have confirmed, plus several social media personalities."

By this time, Xian Ling has regained her control and bows deeply to the hostess.  "I'm so sorry.  I can replace these."

"Hurry up."  The assistant manager looks at her.  "The President of our company will be here.  Everything has to be perfect."

"Everything okay?" Tao Zhen asks once they return to the flower shop.  "You look pale.  And very distracted."

"Uncle Tao," Xiang Ling starts.  "Do you know my story?"

"Only what Wei Xin has told me." Tao Zhen shakes his head and looks at her fondly.  "That you are his wife.  Which I find hard to believe."

"Why?"

"Because you seem too good for him."

"Oh."  Remembering what Wei Xin has instructed her, to not share her information with others, unless he directed her to do so. She switches the subject and puts on her best "nothing-is-the-matter-smile.  "I need to replace the broken vases.  I'll take the scooter."

As she heads back towards Hao Yang Shopping Center, she wishes there were someone with whom she can share her discovery today.   She wishes for Wei Xin.  Why does she remember that emblem?  What does it mean that is on the uniform.