3. Why People Cry at Weddings

Five years ago, at the same hotel - sixteen-year-old Ping Ping admires the view from the penthouse bridal suite  - overlooking the Shanghai skyscape and the joining of two mighty rivers.  Here in the lavish room, Ping Ping watches the late afternoon petering to the evening and the city lighting up.  The cosmos and the architecture play a duet whilst the suite descends into the chaos of bridesmaids, mothers, flower children and a bride with a slight water-retention problem.

"Ping."  Her mother motions for her briefly and turns to the anxious bride. Ping Ping picks up her sewing basket and smiles brightly. Time to save the damsel in distress.

"Seriously."  The bride looks aghast at Ping Ping.  "You cannot possibly let this child touch my dress."

"This child," Used to this type of reaction, Ping Ping's mother reminds the anxious bride.  "is going to make you a spectacular train."

Thirty minutes later, Ping Ping finishes riveting alongside the zipper seams and braiding the silk into a cascade of ribbons, trailing about like a waterfall.  The wide-eyed bride hugs her and weeps.

Leaving the suite of chaos, Ping Ping takes refuge at the drink station.  Suddenly, a delightful squeal pounces on her.

"Ping!"  Her best friend De Ai hugs her from the back.  "I knew it had to be you."

"I've been waiting for you."  Ping Ping hugs her friend with equal delight.  "How can you be late to your mother's third maternal uncle's fourth wife's granddaughter from her second daughter from her second marriage."

"How did you ever remember all that?"  De Ai throws back her head as she laughs.

"Actually, it's our father's side of the family.  And she is from the third marriage."  The handsome young man in the tux corrects Ping Ping, without even a hint of a smile.  At twenty-three, De Yi appears much more worldly than his age and nature.  

Having known him almost all of her life, Ping Ping doesn't understand why girls fling themselves at him; to her, he is just the overbearing and arrogant older brother full of dull facts - today more than usual.

"Don't mind him."  De Ai loops her arm with Ping Ping.  "He's upset because he just got dumped.  And she's right over there..."

De Ai points to a gorgeous woman, clad in a pink-chiffon skirt - showing her long legs and just tight enough to show her modelesque body.    "He really fell for that one."

"I did not."  De Yi stares at his sister.  "I merely miscalculated her affection and motive."

Ping Ping bursts out laughing.  What a thing to say about love - miscalculated.  Ping Ping cannot imagine De Yi with his cold disposition and cautious personality can ever fall in love. 

"How does one calculate love?"  Ping Ping teases.

"With the search engine."  De Yi replies.  "And having parents who sit on the board of our company."

"You mean to say."  Ping Ping looks seriously.  "She is only interested in your networth?"

"They all are."  De Yi speaks matter-of-factly.  "As expected."

"He's used to this."  De Ai interjects.  "Ever since high school, he and his posse are convinced that girls will never love them for who they are."

"How sad."  Ping Ping pities De Yi suddenly. 

"Are you pitying me?"  De Yi looks at this odd friend of his sister's.  Not sure why he feels a bit of warmth to know that she cares about his feelings.  "I don't need your pity."

"Sorry."  Ping Ping sincerely apologizes.  "I didn't mean..."

Just then, the familiar first notes of the wedding march pierce the air.

"Oh." De Ai gasps, pointing to the bride gliding down with the spectacular train  "Look at that!"

As usual, the ceremony drawls on with the introduction of the couple, the long soliloquy about marriage and the exchange of vows.  Ping Ping scans the audience for tears.  Twelve in this crowd, she notes.  Including De Ai.

More tears and sighs as the beautiful couple complete the ceremony with the rings and the kiss.  Ping Ping turns away.  She still cannot get used to this part - sharing a kiss in public.  A bemused De Yi smirks at her before they all stand and join the wedding procession, concluding at the banquet hall.  

"I don't understand why people cry at these things."  De Yi scowls in an exaggerated way at De Ai.

"You wouldn't understand."  De Ai seats herself at the table.  "You have no romance in you."

"It's not always about romance"  Ping Ping responds, not answer De Ai in particular.  "Some cry because the event reminds them of a loss - like the death of a husband or the loss of a marriage thru a divorce.  Or even loss of hope because they are stuck in an unhappy marriage."

"Ping..."  De Ai studies her friend.

"Others cry because when the bride and the groom exchange vows, they have no idea what they are saying.  They think they are stating a fact - but in actuality, these are yet to be fulfilled promises that can only be achieved after surviving tragedies."

De Yi's is mesmerized by Ping Ping as she continues as if they were not there.

"I've seen ex's cry because their beloved is marrying another.  Sometimes for happiness. Sometimes for the wrong reasons.  Sometimes the marriage is not approved by the parents and they cry because they think their beloved child is making a mistake - headed for heartbreak and unhappiness."

"Stop!"  De Ai raises her hand. "You're ruining the romance for me.  Let me be blinded by ignorance for a bit longer."

"You've thought about this."  De Yi pulls out the chair for Ping Ping, who remains standing - unaware.

"This is my 97th wedding."  Ping Ping sighs.  "I've had time to get to talk to the criers."