17. Crazy as Crazy Does

Presently, Wei Xin enters the flower shop, a front for the agency to pass information.  

"How's work." Tao Zhen greets him.

"Work is work." Wei Xin lights up a cigarette. "I'm getting promoted."

Tao Zhen pulls out the cigarette and stamps it out.

"That's a good piece of news. I'll buy you a drink to celebrate."

"No need. I'm giving a party."

"Am I invited?"

"Only if you bring some flowers.  Daisies and roses"

"How many?"

"Bring at least a dozen. I got the drugs covered."

"Where is the party?"

"Let me draw you a map."

Wei Xin takes the a map of the location, indicating where he wants to have the flowers and areas where the lighting might not be good.  In reality, these are spots to place the snipers and where to avoid the cameras.

"Okay."  Tao Zhen takes the map and writes up an order.  "I notice you got a new tattoo."  

On Wei Xin's arm, there is a fresh looking peacock. 

"Li?"  Tao Zhen asks, with a bit of sadness and anger.

"Li."  Wei Xin responds.

A few weeks later, the party goes down at the pier. In one of the warehouses, Wei Xin watches while the distributor pays his respect to the Boss. The Boss turns out to be a woman - Hong Ge, in her late thirties - looking artificial with her heavy-handed makeup and not so subtle plastic surgery.

Even as the distributor speaks, her eyes roam all over Wei Xin. When the distributor finishes the report, she walks past him without acknowledging him.

"Han Jin." She puts her hand on Wei Xin / Han Jin's cheek. He holds back from flinching. "This is a big win for our organization. How shall I reward you?"

Her suggestion is obvious. Han Jin / Wei Xin smiles back, coldly. "No need. The profit is already rewarding enough."

"If it is money you're interested." She whispers into his ear. "I can help you."

Then her eyes zero in on the new peacock design.  She pauses momentarily.  Her eyes misty and refocusing.

"Boss lady." Han Jin / Wei Xin sidesteps her. "You are a married woman. Please don't make trouble for me."

"You don't have to worry about my marriage." She laughs haughtily, a little unsteadily. "And if you know what is good for you, you would do as I ask."

"We're done here." Han Jin / Wei Xin spins around and walks out of the warehouse. The distributor apologizes and then chases after Wei Xin.

She looks at Wei Xin's departing figure thoughtfully.

"Are you crazy to piss off that bitch!?" Even before the door to the Porsche closes, the distributor turns to Wei Xin with admiration mixed with disbelief. "Do you know what she did to her last boyfriend who displeased her?"

"I heard." Wei Xin actually has seen pictures of it. "Don't care."

The Porsche speeds out of the dock. And shortly thereafter, squadrons of police vehicles descend upon the warehouse.

They lose Hong Ge. In the midst of the chaos, Hong Ge slips into the cages where they keep the trafficked girls and then sneaks out of the hospital, disappearing into the night.

When Wei Xin learns of this, he wants to throw something against the wall.

A few weeks later, they find the mutilated body of the distributor stuffed inside a vegetable crate, cast off behind a restaurant. As expected, the inevitable mandatory leave for Wei Xin is issued that same day.