6. Good Fortune is Better than Good Fortitude

On another evening, where the topic of husband hunting came up again at the Chin dinner table, Mrs. Chin announces that she's hired a tutor to prepare De Ai for her debut a year from now.  Somehow, by the end, Ping Ping is also conscripted to take lessons.  Why?  Thanks to Grandpa Chin, he's co-sponsoring De Ai's debut to include Ping Ping.

As De Yi drive the girls home, Ping Ping struggles with her feeling of gratefulness and her feeling of being strong-armed.  Finally, she interrupts De Ai, who is already planning her debut with one new idea after another.

"De Ai." Ping Ping whispers to her friend. "I don't understand why your family wouldn't just set you up with someone. With your family's standing, the debut seems unnecessary."

De Yi suppresses his chuckle.  Such a pragmatic girl.  And sensible.

"They are going to set me up." De Ai replies. "But they are romantics at heart - they want me to look at the playing field and pick out the ones I like."

"Oh." Ping Ping considers her friend's beauty and qualifications. "I'm sure you will have the pick of the best."

"My mom's not wrong, you know." De Ai puts her arm around her friend. "About finding a husband."

De Yi, in the driver seat, carefully turns down the music. He wants to hear this.

"I know.  But husband hunting requires dating.  Such a waste of time." Ping Ping shrugs. "When I'm ready, I'll just find someone and get married."

"And you think it'll just happen like that?"  De Ai snaps her fingers.

"Why not?"  Ping Ping yawns.  "I'm not looking for anything grand - just a reasonable, common man for a peaceful and civil marriage."

"Peaceful and civil?" De Ai roars. "Marriages should be about love and passion."

"Who says they are mutually exclusive." De Yi pulls the car to Ping Ping's apartment home.  

The two girls look at each other, embarrassed at first that De Yi has overheard their entire conversation - then they burst into giggles.

"De Ai," Ping Ping calls as she rushes out of the car.  "I really don't want to take husband-hunting lessons!"

"It's called Etiquette and Manners."  De Ai calls back.

Ping Ping find her parents lounging comfortably on the couch - sharing a dessert and watching a documentary on some incredible treasure found at the bottom of the ocean.  She pops onto the couch and joins them.  Her father hugs her.

"Hi Ping."  Ping Ping's mother yawns.  "Did you have a good time?"

"Is De Yi ready for his study abroad?"  Ping Ping's father inquires.

"I don't know."  Ping Ping replies. "We didn't talk about that."

"I guess it's only a few weeks away."  

"I think he said after their family summer trip."

"Are they going to Japan again?"

"Um"

"Did they invite you?"

"They do every year."

"Why don't you want to go?  You girls have been best friends for so long."

"Maybe you should just go once.  We can work out the finances."  Her dad kisses her head.

"It's not that.  I rather get my portfolio ready.  And I get to do that when I help mom with the bridal dresses."

"Speaking of which."  Ping Ping's mother points to an envelope on the coffee table. "You got an invitation."

"An invitation?"  

"From Fashion Design Institute of Shanghai."  

Ping Ping opens the exquisitely designed black envelope and after reading the equally dazzling invitation, she leaps off the couch.

"I've been invited to the annual International Bridal Design Competition!"  Ping Ping announces excitedly.  "Winner gets a scholarship to the institute plus a summer abroad in France."

"That's wonderful Ping!"

"When's the competition?"

"The elimination rounds are in October and November.  The two finalists get to present their designs at the Winter Bridal Show."

"Can you handle it with school?"  

"Yes."  Ping Ping hugs the invitation. 

A few weeks later, the two girls meet up to try on the dozens of beautiful kimonos strewn all over De Ai's spacious bedroom.   

"One day," De Ai announces. "We are going to do the whole shebang. The hair, the make-up, the shoes..."

"And are we going to serve tea, observing the Way of Tea."

"That's right." The two girls bow to each other. "We are going to spend a summer apprenticing at one of my father's tea houses."

"In Shanghai?" Ping Ping shuffles her feet and then turns dramatically. "But those are Chinese tea houses."

"We are opening up tea houses in Japan." De Ai pretends to dance. "Next year. Learn Japanese instead of French."

"I don't think so." Ping Ping shuffles to her school bag and reveals the invitation. "I might be going to Paris next summer."

"What?"

Ping Ping tilts her head and looks at her best friend in mock seriousness. "Have you done any modeling?"