5. Husband Hunting Season Starts with College

Ping Ping spends the rest of the summer, like all other summers since eighth grade, doing at least one wedding every weekend and then the rest of the week hanging out with De Ai. They walk the streets of Shanghai. De Ai shops while Ping Ping draws and takes photos for her idea book.

At least once a week, they end up at each other's home for dinner. And such as this day in late July, nearly a month and a half since that evening on the dance floor. 

To the unaware, it doesn't seem odd that De Yi has joined them for dinner - more often than not; but Grandfather Chin is keeping a tab. Because De Yi's drop in's all too often coincides with Ping Ping's presence.

In the solarium, Grandfather Chin asks De Yi to push him to the dinner table.

"I see that you've made time for family dinner."  Grandfather comments casually.  "Seems to be more often."

"I thought you're the one who drilled into us that family is more important than business."

"I did."  Grandfather smiles knowing.  "But I think you are more interested in a certain friend of your sisters."

De Yi doesn't respond.

"I approve of that as well."  Grandfather finishes as they come into the dining area, where presently De Ai and Ping Ping are dancing around the table while setting it with chopsticks, bowls and plates.

"Yeh Yeh."  De Ai leaves the table setting behind and rushes up to her grandfather.  "I have big news."

"You've decided on a college?"

"No." De Ai laughs.  "I have been voted xiao-hua." (Literally means School Flower, or the most Beautiful Girl).

"Again?"  De Yi says?  "How is that big news."

"Because never in the history of the school," Ping Ping inserts quietly.  "Has anyone been voted Xiao-hua  three years in a row, particularly one who is not a senior."

"That is not surprising at all."  Mr. Chin joins them.  "Your mother held that same honor at our school."

"Did she hold it all four years?"  Ping Ping asks.

"Of course."  De Ai kisses her mother, Mrs. Chin, a gracious beauty at fifty.

"Ancient history."  Mrs. Chin dismisses the discussion with a wave.  "Come.  Let's all sit down for dinner."

While the servants serve the food, De Yi parks Yeh Yeh next to Ping Ping, then manages to seat himself between the two.  Sandwiched between De Yi an De Ai, Ping Ping digs into the delicious food.

"Ping Ping." Mrs. Chin spins the lazy-susan. "Have some fish. It's your favorite."

"Thank you, Chin Mama." Ping Ping begins to rise so she can get to the fish. Just then, De Yi spoons the fish onto his plate and then hers.

Grandfather Chin observes with a deep expression.

"Are you still thinking about going to fashion school, Ping Ping?" Mr. Chin asks. "And not college?"

"Yes. I've looked into several institutes." Ping Ping replies.

"Even some in France." De Ai pipes in.

"I still think it's best you get a college degree first." Mrs. Chin looks at Ping Ping motherly. "Fashion should be more like a hobby, a backup plan."

"What she means by that." De Ai explains. "Is that we should go to college and find a good husband."

"I know." Ping Ping nods.

"There is nothing wrong with that plan." Mrs. Chin says approvingly. "Eventually you girls will get married. What better place to start the search than at a good college, where you are more likely to find boys with a future."

"Right." De Yi puts picks up some vegetables and put it on Ping Ping's plate.  Then he says  flatly. "This is why I went to college - to find myself a good husband."

Ping Ping nearly chokes. De Yi pats Ping Ping on the back and hands her his napkin. Grandfather sips his soup, while he takes in De Yi's actions with interest.

"What does your father say about this?" Mr. Chin refocuses the discussion.

"He thinks I should follow my talent."

"You should follow your heart." Grandfather puts down his bowl.

"Isn't that the same thing?" Ping Ping asks.

Grandfather shakes his head and answers Ping Ping, while looking at De Yi. "Talent is about work. The heart is about love."