32. Crossroads of Destiny

The expensive Rolls Royce with blackened window turns the corner and Wei Xin / Han Jin follows Xian Ling as she gets on the scooter.

"Is she your type?" Hong Ge, next to him, stares straight ahead. "Your eyes seem to be always following her, when we turn this corner."

The barely noticeable smile on Wei Xin's face disappears just as quickly.

"Sweet." Hong Ge continues. "Innocent."

"Not my type."

"Protective as well." Hong Ge mouth twitches in a rueful manner. "You are a romantic."

"As I said," We Xin denies it more casually. "Not my type."

"What's your type, then?" Hong Ge puts her hand on his thigh, very close to his crotch. "You need to make it convincing for Wu Zhao."

Wei Xin / Han Jin holds her wrist in place. "Don't confuse me with Detective Li. What we do is only for show."

***

A Bentley approaches from on-coming traffic. De Yi in the backseat is heads down looking at the social media being generated for the launch. As he pulls up towards the mall housing the tea house, Xian Ling / Ping Ping walks towards the tea house with her scooter helmet on and holding a box of vases.

The moment De Yi enters, Manager Ming approaches to direct him towards the office to meet Lu Yan Fei and her manager. He passes by Xian Ling / Ping Ping and his steps falters when he hears her talking to the assistant manager. Before he can fully comprehend what he heard, Manager Ming draws his attention to Lu Yan Fei who smiles coyly at him from the office doorway.

After Xian Ling / Ping Ping finishes fixing the bonsai arrangements, the assistant manager gives her a little pat on the back. "Why don't you stay for the opening. Miss Lu Yan Fei is very impressed with your floral arrangements. I'll introduce you afterwards."

"Thank you." Ping Ping / Xian Ling lowers her head, embarrassed to receive a compliment.

***

Inside the VIP room of a strip club, the music blares in the background while nearly a hundred thousand dollars worth of alcohol strewn about on the various coffee table. At least half a dozen girls gyrate to the music trying to catch Wei Xin / Han Jin's attention. But he is looking at the man across from him - a handsome man in his 40's with an evil look and an arrogant smile. This is Wu Zhao, who looks like a refined man but is truly a beast.

Hong Ge sits next to Wu Zhao like the perfect wife and watches the scene before her with an unreadable expression. He has his large hand on her neck, while he stares down Wei Xin / Han Jin.

"See anything you like," the man gestures like a grand host. "I encourage you to sample the product."

"Not interested." Wei Xin / Han Jin doesn't break his stare. "If the number is right, the quality of the goods is not important to me."

***

Outside the tea house, the mall crowd has gathered for the grand opening. The press has arrived and De Yi, with Lu Yan Fei next to him, holds the red ribbon and the scissors ceremoniously.  The girls in the geisha uniform lined up behind them to make a picturesque backdrop. A small commotion diverts the attention as Ping Ping collapses next to the assistant manager.

***

Inside the VIP room, Wei Xin / Han Jin finishes his drink and stands.

"When you are ready," Wei Xin throws down a piece of paper with a number. "Call me."

"What's the hurry." Wu Zhao slurs his words a little. "Pick a girl. We have private rooms upstairs. Fully stocked."

"Wu Zhao." Wei Xin musters his best lustful look at Hong Ge. "You know full well who I'm interested in."

Wu Zhao's smile fades.

"I have no doubt that your spies have very good photographic evidence." Wei Xin puts his hand into his pocket, takes out and tosses a handful of bugs and mini cameras. "Surely these must have captured enough erotic scenes."

***

De Yi stands frozen at the door way -- staring at Xian Ling / Ping Ping laid out on the large couch in the private office - her face framed by her short hair.

"President Chin." Manager Ming rushes to him. "We've called her boss. He should be here shortly. We will take care of this."

Ping Ping. De Yi's heart lurches with hope.