12. When Your BFF Gets a BF

"I like your collection much better than the other." De Yi says. "I think you have much more talent."

"The two collections are so different." Chen Hua exudes a sense of expertise. "I wouldn't know who to pick if I were judging."

De Yi stares at her in a non too friendly way.

"I'm proud of you either way." Ping Ping's father says.

Just then the master of ceremony comes up. He thanks the individual judges and then revealed the points in the category of Originality of Design. Cohesiveness of Collection. Technical Execution. Ping Ping won for originality but lost in the other two, ultimately the competition.

De Yi wants to reach over and hold her hands. But instead, Ping Ping braves up a smile and even comforts her mother who feels even more crestfallen. Just then, De Ai, Ka Sha and an elegantly chic lady approach them.

"Ping Ping. I'm the Bridal Editor for Vogue Asia. Lulu."

Ping Ping bows politely. "I'm honored that you've come."

"Do you not remember me?"

Ping Ping tilts her head.

"I was one of the bridesmaids at the Shi wedding." Lulu brings up a photo on her phone. "Your train so impressed me, I recommended you for this competition."

"Oh." Ping Ping immediately bows further. "I'm so sorry to have disappointed you and lost."

"Not at all. You've exceeded my expectation to have come so far." Lulu says kindly. "No one as young as you has ever gotten into the final rounds, on their first try."

"You think I can win the next one?"

"I don't know. But," Lulu takes out her business card. "If you will give me a call in the new year, I would like to talk to you about featuring this collection in an upcoming issue."

After Lulu exits the ballroom, De Ai and Ping Ping squeals like the teenage girls they are and start to chant Vogue Vogue Vogue as they jump up and down. Ka Sha joins them.

De Yi thinks enviously to himself, how great it would be to have a celebration with Ping Ping on this victory. His revelry is interrupted by Chen Hua who leans into him and whispers to him as if a secret. "Children will always be children."

De Yi knits his brow together and announces. "Let's go out and celebrate. My treat."

As the group take a leisurely stroll down the promenade to get to the restaurant, Ka Sha and De Ai lag behind. Ping Ping also begins to slow down her steps.

The two best friends have a system. Whenever someone attempts to confess to De Ai, Ping Ping is to interrupt before things get too far and rescue De Ai with the imaginary marriage contract between the Chin family and the last son of the Kong clan who is forever traveling around the world.

On the average, De Ai gets one of these confessions once a month; during the "love seasons", that would be January, February, May, June, July and December, the average is more like two.

Not aware of the system but only noticing Ping Ping falling behind, De Yi grabs Ping Pings wrist and holds her close by, unwilling to be left to be coupled with Chen Hua. The gesture is not lost on Chen Hua. Ping Ping, too concerned about De Ai, doesn't even register the move and ends up being pulled forward; she tumbles forward only to fall against De Yi's back.

"You okay." De Yi turns and gently holds Ping Ping at arms length.

"Mm." Ping Ping says, unfazed by the mishap. She turns and observes that Ka Sha with De Ai have drifted closer to the bridge. And under the moon light, it is easy to see Ka Sha's smitten expression.

Chen Hua chuckles and loops her arm around De Yi. "I think you might be gaining a brother-in-law."

Ping Ping sighs and begins to saunter towards them.

De Yi grabs her again. "What are you doing."

"To perform a rescue mission."

But by the time she gets to half way, the most surprising thing happens. Her friend De Ai does not resist as Ka Sha leans in for a kiss.

De Yi comes up behind Ping Ping and put his hand over her eyes.