7. After Summer Comes You

"Friends and family." De Yi raises his glasses. "I am honored by your presence today. Thank you for everyone's good wishes. But I will not be going to the United States as soon as I thought. We are expanding into the Japanese market next year and my father has extended my internship with the company. So tonight, instead of celebrating my going to America, let's toast to a successful launch next year."

On the night of the send-off dinner, De Yi surveys the room filled with family and friends. His mother, thoughtful as always, has included several of his college friends, particular a few females with the appropriate family background. Presently, they are eyeing him with subtle seduction; but having spent a few seasons with them, he knows them well enough to know that it is not necessarily him that they desire. He doesn't doubt their sincerity - in their want of him. Or as they might claim - the fondness of him. He just doesn't believe that they really know him - separately from his family fortune. In short, he's learned to mistrust them - women like them, women in general who want to marry him.

Then there is Ping Ping, who is unlike any of the other. Possibly because of the age difference between her and the other females. Possibly because he's known her half of his life - watching her grow alongside his sister. Or perhaps she is and has always been completely guileless.

She catches him looking at her and smiles - so naturally and comfortably. That's the word best describe Ping Ping - comforting.

Two females stride up to him, blocking his perfect view of Ping Ping. One shadow belongs to De Ai and the other, Xia Chen Hua, an annoying and spoiled beauty.

"Why haven't you come by to see me?" Chen Hua pouts seductively and then plants a kiss on his cheek.

"I've been busy." De Yi sidesteps her to the left, to regain his view of Ping Ping. "Didn't you hear that we are about to expand into Japan."

"Yes." She puffs up like a sleek cat with a secret. "I heard. But did you hear that we will be working together?"

"How is that?" De Yi asks, surprised in an unpleasant way.

"Father retained her services as a stylist - to manage the brand image." De Ai shares smugly, knowing how much Chen Hua desires her brother and how much he only tolerates her. Then she spins in place. "What do you think?"

"Of what?"

"The dress." Chen Hua points to De Ai. "It's a modern take on the kimono - using the traditional pattern, but in a modern cut while retaining some traditional elements. Like this exaggerated bow in the back."

"It's a Lee Ping Ping original." De Ai strikes another pose.

"It's unique." De Yi agrees, after taking a few minutes to take in the outfit...when Ping Ping's name perks up his ears. "What of it."

"I think it would be a wonderful design for teahouse hostesses." Chen Hua adds. "With a few modifications, of course; to make it more practical and not so fancy."

"Good idea." De Yi purposely waits a few minutes, to not sound too eager.

"Let me go tell Ping the good news!" De Ai puts her hand on De Yi's shoulder. "I think Chen Hua wants to run other plans by you."

De Ai mocks De Yi with her eyes. She knows Chen Hua's heart and has never understood why her brother doesn't grab onto such a fabulous candidate.

Chen Hua reaches out to shake De Yi's hand. "I am really looking forward to working together. It will be like the days we spent on the school projects."

De Yi nods; but what he remembers is her pushiness during all the school projects - and her paying others to do her portion of the work, while she "managed" and "bullied" others to agree to her ideas. If it were not for Ping Ping being the designer, his first instinct would have been to say NO, just so she'd understand that he's the boss.

"Not like the school projects." De Yi declares and squeezes her hand. "Here, I am the boss. And we are not executing your ideas unless I approve."

"Okay." Chen Hua is taken aback but also strangely attracted to this more commanding version of De Yi. "I will bring you the new dress designs."

"Why?" De Yi questions. "Just have Ping Ping make the adjustments and she can bring some samples to the house."

"You don't want to get bogged down with the revisions." Chen Hua pauses instinctively - the way he says Ping Ping's name. "I will bring the final selections. Maybe in a couple of weeks."

"Why?" De Yi questions again. "I just said that Ping Ping can bring the modifications. She and De Ai are inseparable anyway. You work on the brand concepts."

"You're absolutely right." Chen Hua forces a smile, making a mental note to get to know this Ping Ping better. "I'll come by in a few days to go over my plan. Maybe lunch?"