23. I Will Come Back for You

He can feel her even without looking. A cup of tea in his hand and a stack of documents in front of him.

"Did you sleep well?" He asks without looking at her.

She nods.

"You'll have to speak." He turns to her. "I like hearing your voice,"

"Um." She gets off the bed. "Well. Thank you."

"Breakfast is coming." Wei Xin says. "Afterwards, we should talk."

Just then, a knock at the front door. Wei Xin closes her bedroom door before letting in Mao Ah who has brought breakfast.

"You owe me forty-three." Mao Ah drops the breakfast on the table, opens the bag to take out a baozi. He points to the folio. "What you think?"

"I think Hong Ge is a very dangerous woman." Wei Xin grabs some bread. "I think she let herself be caught so she can borrow our hands to take revenge on her father. Or her husband."

"How do you figure?"

"Her plan seems too perfect. Too meticulous." Wei Xin opens the lid to the hot soybean milk and drinks it. "Many of the key opportunities require years of planning."

"Is it a trap?"

"Definitely." Wei Xin nods. "But I'm not sure for whom."

Just then, Xian Ling / Ping Ping enters the room. The two men pipe down.

"I'll catch up with you." Wei Xin and Mao Ah exchange envelopes.

Inside the envelope from Mao Ah, Wei Xin finds an identification for Zhang Xian Ling with Ping Ping's picture and a fake birthday - the birthday of the real Zhang Xian Ling. It makes Ping Ping 28 years old. Wei Xin sighs. This girl can barely pass for twenty.

"Here is your identification." He puts it in her hand. "Until we find out who you really are."

"Thank you..." Her fingers grip it. "Wei... What should I call you?"

"I guess Wei Xin since we are married. Legally." He bids out ruefully. "For now."

"Mm. Thank you Wei Xin."

Minutes pass between them. Wei Xin pulls out one of the two dining chairs for her. He takes the breakfast out of the plastic bag and opens the cupboards. No cups. No plates. Nothing.

"Is this your place?" Xian Ling / Ping Ping asks.

"No. It is yours. "

"Mine?"

"Technically, the agency's."

"Agency."

Wei Xin doesn't elaborate. "I have started a search in the missing person's database."

"So I get to stay here until you find my family."

Wei Xin nods. Not wanting to confirm out loud that she will be leaving him at that point.

"How long will that take."

"Not sure. Depends." Wei Xin puts the food in front of her. "You'll have to use your hands. The place is not set up."

"It's fine." Xian Ling / Ping Ping shares the container of soy milk with Wei Xin.

"Here's some money." Wei Xin takes out a bank card. "Go buy what you need to set up the house.  And a few new outfits.  If you want."

Xian Ling / Ling Ling looks at the card. "I'll buy some food for us. What do you like to eat?"

"Ling Ling." Wei Xin looks at her and gruffly adds. " I don't know when I'll be back."

"Oh." Xian Ling / Ping Ping continues to eat, without looking at him. She's afraid she might cry. "But you'll be back."

After a pause. Xian Ling / Ping Ping lifts her head, tears bravely held back behind hooded eyes.

Wei Xin touches her face. "We may find your family before my assignment is over."

"I'll wait for you to come and get me." Xian Ling / Ping Ping holds his hand, pressed into her face now damp with tears.

"That may not be fair to you." Wei Xin's heart softens and aches, knowing she wants to wait for him. "I cannot do that to you."

"Promise, you'll be back for me."

After debating if he should lie or be honest, Wei Xin nods. Then just as quickly, he retracts his hand and stands. Breakfast is over. This goodbye is over. He toughens up his heart and starts towards the door.

"Can you help me with something else?"

"If I can." He continues walking.

"Can you help me find a job?" Xian Ling takes the bank card. "I'll pay you back."

"I don't want you to pay me back." Wei Xin turns, his eyes stormy. "It's a husband's duty to provide for his wife."

Xian Ling / Ping Ping touches the ring on her finger.

"But. We..."

"Don't think too much about it." Wei Xin adds as he opens the door. "I'll leave you messages. At Silver Moon Florist a few blocks over. On Third."

Then he walks out  in a hurry and closes the door firmly. Outside by the railing, his handler Mao Ah continues texting on the phone and then sighs. Out of the corner of his eyes, he watches Wei Xin pausing in front of the closed door, with his hand still on the door handle.