14. Life Interruptions Make Life Real

The next four months speed thru like a hurricane.  Just like she said that night, the spring competition overwhelms her schedule.  But much unlike what she said that night, Ping Ping misses De Yi.  More so each day.

In the morning, De Yi texts Ping Ping to wish her a good day. In the evening, Ping Ping text him to ask him about his day. Then at least twice or thrice a week, they would be on the phone talking - sometimes just to have it on while they each worked on their own projects. Hearing each other breath and making background noises, as if they are in the same room.

De Yi's team observe the subtle change in their boss - from an iceberg like personality to a warm smiley spring.  He compliments the ladies, even says thank you and good job during meetings.  They even hear him laugh behind closed doors, especially after hours, when he spends the time to finish up the day.

Even in the midst of the busy-ness, Ping Ping's mind seems to be working overtime, stitching together a future.  Making a home.  A life with De Yi.  She shocks her mother by taking an active interest in making dinner.  Although, admittedly, she probably would never have to use those skills as De Yi's wife.

In March, De Yi comes home to celebrate his twenty-fourth birthday.  His family arranges a feast and his friends set up a party at a night club.  De Yi wants to turn down all of them because he only wants to spend all of his time with Ping Ping, holding her and kissing her.  

During the family feast, his parents ask him about settling down.  Mrs. Chen has helpfully invited Chen Hua and her family to the feast and then not so subtly hints that he is at a good age to marry and start a family.

De Yi's face gets gloomier and gloomier.  If this were any other year, Ping Ping would have been invited to the family feast as De Ai's friend.  But this year, Kai Sha occupies the space next to De Ai; annoyingly, his mother seats Chen Hua next to him.

Then the two mothers begin to talk about what a good alliance it would be if their children were to marry.  The Xia and Chin family both have much to gain; and look how well the two of them have worked together on the project.

In front of the elders, De Yi holds himself back.  At the end of the meal, he quickly excuses himself to meet up with his friends.  Even more annoying, Chen Hua follows and invites herself into his car - after all, these are their mutual friends and she's due at the same gathering.

Chen Hua strides into the party, as if they are a couple, walking closely next to him and then looping her arm through his as if he's escorting her.  Over the pulsating music and colorful cocktails, Chen Hua leans in and tells him that she likes him, everything about him...and that for the first time in a long time, she agrees with her mother.

De Yi pushes her away from him.  "Chen Hua.  It will never happen between us."  He says it clearly and loudly. 

Taken aback, she smiles rigidly and leans back in with her most non-nonchalant smile, hiding her disappointment.  "We are made for each other and the sooner you realize that, the sooner we can enjoy each other and our life together."

De Yi stands up and shakes his head.  "We are not suited for each other.  The sooner you realize that, the sooner you will stop wasting your time."

It is nearly midnight before he is able to leave his friends -  two hours after he said he would call Ping Ping.  Yet when he calls her, she sounds sleepy and happy - sweetly telling him to go to get some rest.  He is moved by her considerateness and offended at the same time that she doesn't seem desperate enough to see him.

By then, he's already standing at her front door.  

"Come out."  He commands her, meaning to sound cute and not bossy as he often is.  "I want a good night kiss."

And that's how their second kiss happens.  She in her Hello Kitty pajama dress; he in his expensive suit reeking of of alcohol and smoke.   The doorway of her family apartment lit with a fancy door light.  She tiptoes up to him while he lifts her up with an embrace and then setting her bare feet on his shoes.  He covers her with his large coat, shielding her from the night chill.  They stand there in the door way of her family apartment for nearly 30 minutes before they hear stirring in her parents bedroom.  

The next day - a Saturday - a day of stolen kisses, glances and time.  They end up at the museum and spend the afternoon with interlaced fingers, quietly looking at the paintings where time and feelings are dramatically displayed in brush strokes.

A couple of months later, De Yi comes home to check-in with the investors; it coincides with Ping Ping's Spring Competition. And as before, she walks up to the stage looking on the floor, only to look up and see De Yi. As she looks at him, all those around him fade away.

Ping Ping is runner-up again at the Spring Competition.  That evening, she sobs disappointingly in De Yi's embrace when he comes for his good night kiss.  When she ran out of tears and leaves a patch of snot on his suit, he merely tilts her head towards him and states simply, "It will be okay."  In that moment, Ping Ping feels that life would be just as sweet without fulfilling her dream, as long as she can come to home him - and to be in his arms...for a long long time.