33. Truth Can Also Be Lies

Wu Zhao's smile contorts into an ugly disdain.  He lets go of Hong Ge.  "Stand up."  She obeys.  Then he kicks her knee, making her fall onto the floor. She yelps in pain, but only briefly.   A few girls gasp as they see the slight odd bent in Hong Ge's knee, if not broken definitely twisted or fractured.

"Go ahead."  Wu Zhao says.  "If you think she's worth the trouble."

An unbridled anger flares up in Wei Xin / Han Jin's heart; even if he doesn't love this woman, it grates him the wrong way for a man to treat a woman this way.  Especially a man who calls himself a husband.

Hong Ge bites her lip, grimacing and breathing shallowly but unwilling to let her pain make her look weak. That looks elicits an unwitting pity and protectiveness from Wei Xin / Han Jin. 

Without warning, Wei Xin / Han Jin's foot extends and lands with a thud onto Wu Zhao's neck.  The gyrating girls freeze and the bodyguards take out their guns.

****

De Yi gaze upon her as if she were an unbelievable treasure.  It's been three years, four months and fifteen days.   

Ping Ping.  He puts his hand over hers. Then as if he touched electricity, he jerks his hand back -- there is a wedding ring on her finger. 

This cannot be!  His heart beats faster and faster.  She has to be Ping Ping.  But how can she be married?

****

"Let's get one thing straight."  Wei Xin / Han Jin pushes down on Wu Zhao's collar bone and a faint crack can be heard.  Wu Zhao winces with a murderous look and grabs Wei Xin's ankle.  Wei Xin / Han Jin continues,  "Now that she's my woman.  You will never harm her again."

To everyone else, they think that this is Wei Xin / Han Jin showing off his power by pretending he is protective of Hong Ge.  To Wu Zhao, it is a revelation of Wei Xin / Han Jin's true feelings.  To Hong Ge, even though they planned for a show down like this, she cannot tell if Han Jin is a really good actor or really cares about her.

Wu Zhao grabs Wei Xin / Han Jin's leg and is unable to push it off.  

****

De Yi's thoughts are jumbled.  He needs time, alone with this girl.  He wants to ask her questions.  He wants to hear her answers.  Yet not even ten minutes have gone before one of the hostess opens the door to the office. 

"Manager Ming."  The hostess speaks politely as she ushers in Tao Zhen.  "The flower shop's manager is here."

"What happened?"  Tao Zhen bends to feel Xian Ling / Ping Ping's head.  His touches gentle and familial.

"We don't know."  De Yi says, eyeing Tao Zhen coldly.  "We don't even know her name."

Tao Zhen turns to see De Yi.  Though his expression doesn't give anything away, Tao Zhen knows De Yi's face from the files - the files that Wei Xin has entrusted to him.  And in that moment, he is the only person in the room who knows exactly what is happening.

"And you are?"  Tao Zhen feigns ignorance.

"This is our President Chin."  Manager Ming quickly introduces.  "Is the young lady going to be okay?  Should we call an ambulance?"

"No need."  De Yi stands.  "I have a car here.  I can take her to the hospital."

"Then."  Tao Zhen debates his next move.  "I thank you for the kindness."

****

Wei Xin / Han Jin carries Hong Ge in his arms, trying carefully not to upset her strangely positioned knee.  She grips his shoulder every time as he steps down the stairs and beads of sweat glisten her face as she grits her teeth with pain.  

The woman has guts, he admits.  He's seen men injured in the line of duty, screaming in pain.  

"Hang on a bit longer."  Involuntarily, he hugs her a little tighter, to dampen the effects of the jostling movement.  "We'll get you to City General soon."

"This is not the worst."  Hong Ge shifts uneasily, speaking with difficulty.  She then laughs, burying her face in his jacket.

"What's so funny."

"In the near thirteen years of marriage," Hong Ge grunts.  "It's the first time, he lost face to such a degree.  Good job Han Jin."

"He really got on my nerves."  Han Jin opens the door and settles her in.  She tenses up and her eyes shut tight, a single tear nearly escaped.  "It's okay if you cry.  I won't think less of you."

When he gets in from the other side, tears stream down her face - but not because of the pain.  He reaches over and pats her hand to comfort her.  She cries because it's been a long time since someone stood up for her and won.  The last time.  The last one.  She loved.  Detective Li.  And he died.  She vows that this will not happen to Han Jin / Wei Xin.

****

The two cars arrive at City General within minutes of each other.

****

De Yi gets out and carries Ping Ping in his arms.  She feels, just right.  

When Wein Xin / Han Jin sees Xian Ling / Ping Ping in De Yi's arms, he wants to stop everything and check on her.  It takes him a minute, but he also identifies De Yi's face. 

They end up on two different side of the registration counter.  

"Zhang Xian Ling."  Tao Zhen tells the young clerk. 

"She fainted."  De Yi gives a description of the events.

"I slipped."  Hong Ge tells the other clerk.  "Walking up the stairs."

When the nurse takes Hong Ge for an x-ray, Wei Xin meets up with Tao Zhen in the stairwell.

"Did she recognize him?"

"Don't know yet." Tao Zhen answers.  "I only have his statement."

"And he..."

"Without a doubt."

"What was their relationship?"

"According to the file...family friend.  His sister's best friend."

Wei Xin absorbs the information, waiting for Tao Zhen to finish.

"But I think it may be more than that."