Nothing But a Note

Start from the beginning

            Stiles writes a note to his father telling him he’ll call when he gets where he is going as long as he doesn’t tell anyone else. He isn’t stupid, he knows that Derek will try to come after him, Derek is possessive about Stiles but apparently all Stiles is to him is a possession that he could use as he pleases.  He leaves his phone to weight down the note, the only number he has ever remembered was his Dad’s, and he drives to the bank. He cashes out his college fund which gives him thousands of dollars to run away with, he thanks the teller, and he leaves.

****

            Stiles drives.

            He drives until he is tired, stops for a cheap hotel, then just keeps driving. Stiles begins wondering if his father has found his note, or if Derek knows he is gone. He mulls all of this over while he drives to no music.

            Stiles drives for about three days before he stops in a tiny coastal town of Maine by the name of Sawyer. It is smaller than Beacon Hills, and for the first time in a while, Stiles can breathe a little bit better. He buys a prepaid cell phone from a gas station and dials his father’s number by heart. 

            “Hello?” A tired voice greets, and Stiles feels a pang of guilt in his heart. He almost debates hanging up, but he figures it’s better to let his Dad know he is okay.

            “Hey, Daddy-O.” Stiles says, and an unsettling silence on the other lines greets him. His father doesn’t say anything for a while, and Stiles almost thinks his father hung up on him. He hears heavy breathing  on the other end of the phone, and he knows what is going to come next is not going to be pretty.

            “Do you have any idea how worried I’ve been?” John says, his voice is calm but it is like the soothing air before a storm. Stiles isn’t sure if his father wants an actual answer or if he is asking rhetorical questions.

            “I know, Dad.” Stiles begins to say as he leans his head against the steering wheel.

            “Shut up. You left in the middle of the day while I was at work with nothing but a note left on your desk.” John yells, and Stiles flinches. He knew his father wasn’t going to take it well, but as long as his father doesn’t use his real name then he thinks he’ll be fine. “What the hell happened, Hezekiah?” John yells, and oh, that his real name and this is not going well.

            “Did you read the note?” Stiles says, and he really didn’t mean for it to come out that. John doesn’t say anything, and Stiles knows he has over stepped every boundary.

            “Who are you?” John just says, and Stiles feels like he has just lost the last person in his life.

            “I’m your son.” Stiles says, and he wipes his eyes with his hand. “I’ll call you later.” Stiles promises, and with that he hangs up before his father can say anything. He knows leaving a note was stupid, leaving his phone was stupid, but he didn’t want anyone finding him. Stiles stares at his phone for about an hour before he finally pulls out of the gas station and goes in search of a hotel.  

***

            Stiles is in Sawyer about a week before he find a place to call home. It is a small apartment just down the street from a bookstore where he gets a job. He has plenty of his college tuition left, but he is thinking about in enrolling at the local community college in the new semester. Stiles makes a mentally note to call his dad later to see if he left any important documents back in Beacon Hills he might need to apply.