Tree

Laila's POV

"What's wrong?" Isaac questioned, his eyebrows furrowing as he looked down at me.

It had been a day since Isaac had been shot, fully healed by now and back to normal. We were currently sprawled out on my bed, occasionally muttering something to each other.

I rolled over onto my stomach, smiling slightly when his arm slung over my shoulders, his other tucking under my side so he could pull me closer.

"I'm just thinking." I replied, resting my forehead against his chin as I let my eyes shut.

"About what?" he mumbled, his lips pressing a kiss to the top of my head.

"Fighting. I'm trying to decide if I want to learn how to defend myself or if I should just trust that no one else will get hurt."

He frowned as I opened my eyes, lifting my head to look at him.

"And I know you don't want me to have to get involved with the fighting but the other night, I felt...helpless. I couldn't do anything but stand there while you were nearly murdered right next to me." I rambled, finally getting it off my chest after thinking about it for the past twenty four hours.

"You should learn to fight. You'd be safer if you at least knew something about it." He stopped talking, as if there was something else he wanted to add but wasn't sure if he should.

"But?"

"I don't like the thought. I don't like the image of you holding a gun, being forced to fight for your life."

"No guns." I agreed, shaking my head.

He let out a small laugh, one of his hands lifting up to play with my hair, lifting the locks up and then letting them drop.

We fell back into a comfortable silence, his fingers still tangled in my hair as I continued to wonder what I should do.

"I wish I had met you before I was bit." he murmured, almost inaudible.

I smiled, moving my hand over to gently stroke his jawline. "I'm just glad I met you at all. I don't care if you're human or a werewolf or anything else."

He opened his mouth to respond before shutting it again and instead, pressing his lips to mine, his fingers tightening their grip on me.

My smile widened when he kissed my cheek, pecking the area several times as I let out a laugh.

"You know, you never told me the story of how you were bitten." I pointed out, leaning my head against his shoulder as I shifted around to get comfortable.

"It's not that long of a story. Derek found me, offered it and I said yes."

"That's it? You never had any second thoughts?"

"It happened really quickly. I didn't have time for second thoughts."

"Do you regret it at all?"

"Not really. Sometimes, I wonder what would've happened if I hadn't said yes but I'm glad I did."

My gaze moved over to the small pile of wrapped presents I was planning to give to people for Christmas, reminding me the holiday was in two days.

"Are you excited for Christmas?" I questioned, looking back up at him.

"A little. Are you?"

"Of course! I love it. I love giving people presents and seeing their reactions. Lydia used to come over every year to make sure my presents were wrapped perfectly."