Hot Chocolate

Isaac's POV

"And then, Batman-" Luke paused to yawn, his eyes drooping as his head rested against my arm. "Then Batman...he..." He slumped, finally asleep after fighting it off for the past hour.

I smiled down at him, shifting so his head hit the pillow. After we got our ice cream, Mary had driven us back to their house. We watched a few movies and then I helped Luke finish his puzzle. I had tried to leave afterwards but he clung to my leg, refusing to let go until I agreed to stay until he fell asleep.

"Unbelievable." Laila muttered, leaning against the doorframe. "You actually got him to sleep."

I pulled the blankets up around his small body, looking down at Luke, with his flushed cheeks and messed up brown hair.

"You must be exhausted. I'm sorry for kind of throwing him at you."

"You didn't. I liked him. It reminded me of when my brother and I used to play together." I still sat facing away from her, looking down at her brother, who mumbled in his sleep and clung to his stuffed dinosaur.

"Do you want some hot chocolate?"

I smiled as I slowly got up, making sure he was tucked in properly before turning and walking over to her. We quietly left the room, trying not to wake him up again. She led me down into the large kitchen, grabbing a pot to boil the water.

"Where are your parents?" I asked, looking around the seemingly empty house.

"Paris. Or at least my mother is. My father could be in London. I haven't talked to him today, so I don't really know."

"Work?"

"Yeah." Her heartbeat went up slightly, indicating she was lying. I leaned against the counter, curiously watching her. "They, uh, travel a lot."

She finished making the hot chocolate, reaching up for the cups she couldn't quite reach. I gently lifted her up, making her jump but smile as she grabbed the mugs.

"Thanks. The struggles of being short."

"I think it's cute that you're short."

She handed me my cup, arching one of her brows. "Oh really?"

"Yeah. It makes me feel tall."

"As if you need help." She rolled her eyes before gesturing to a dimly lit up porch. "After you."

We went outside, looking up at the stars for a moment before she sat down in the swing, patting the spot next to her. She curled up as I made myself comfortable in the cushioned seat, sipping at my warm drink.

"So, tell me about yourself."

"What do you want to know?" I turned to face her, looking into her hazel eyes as she shrugged.

"Anything."

"Um, I like the color red." I smiled as she rolled her eyes, shaking her head.

"Purple's way better."

"Well how do you make purple? With red."

"And blue. Which is a cousin of purple."

"So what about you? Tell me more about the amazing Laila Brooks."

"Well, I don't know anything about the amazing Laila Brooks but I do know that I like music."

"What kind?"

"Would it be really stereotypical if I said all of them?"

"Completely and totally."

 We turned as Mary peeked out the door, smiling when she saw us. "You got Luke to sleep?"