The tube ride back home was painstakingly slow. I just wanted to give the book to Dan. God, his smile was going to light up the room. I could imagine how bright his eyes would get when I showed it to him.

I walked into the flat and immediately set my stuff down on the counter. I grabbed the book and held it behind my back. I walked back out and found Dan sitting on the couch eating a bowl of cereal. He looked up at me once I walked through the door, raising his eyebrows quietly in question. He probably wondered what was behind my back, he would never guess, though.

"Guess what?!" I grinned and ran over to Dan, sitting down on the couch next to him. He laughed and set down his cereal bowl. His hair was in messy and wild curls. I could tell that he hadn't gotten up all day, he still had his pajamas on. As I said, he really wasn't in the best mood lately after his grandmother passed.

"What?" He rolled his eyes at me. "You've been gone all day, so what did you get at the store?Did you get a new game or something?" He wondered. I shook my head. "What, then?"

"Guess," I teased. Now that I was here, I was kind of nervous about showing him the gift. I was hoping it wasn't going to make him extremely sad or something... my grin faltered for a few moments.

"Really, Phil?" He rolled his eyes and my grin immediately came back as I nodded. "New clothes?" I shook my head. "Shoes?" I rolled my eyes at him this time. "A new gadget... a giant piece of candy... something useless I'm sure..." He smirked.

"I'll give you a hint, it's not for me." He frowned and tilted his head at me. I had enough of waiting and I could tell he had enough also. I brought out the book from behind me and held it out to him.

The reaction was instantaneous. Immediately his eyes widened in surprise and his hand went over his mouth. His fingers lightly traced the cover and pulled away as soon as they came onto it. "Is that..."

"Its for you." I offered it to him and he gently took it in his lap. He managed to close his mouth and looked down at the book, carefully opening the pages.

"Signed?!" He exclaimed, laughing and looking up at me and then quickly looking back down. He brushed his fingers over the signature. He went completely quiet. His hair covered his face, so I could barely see what his reaction was, God, I hoped it was good.

"Do you... like it?" I asked quietly. He looked up and I watched tears form in his chocolate brown eyes. I wanted more than anything to brush it off as it rolled down his cheek. At first I thought he was sad, but then I noticed that his eyes weren't dull, they were shining. The smile on his face was just like I imagined, bright and wide, dimples popping.

"Do I like it?" He set down the book and then pulled me down into a hug. "Phil, I love it!" He laughed and gripped me tight. "How did you... where did you..." He could barely talk as he choked on his words.

"Jeez, calm down, Dan" I teased and laughed, but I made sure to rub his back a little, because although I was making fun of him, there was truth in it. I could tell he was just way too damn happy to be focusing on his breathing.

"Where did you even get this?" Dan pulled away, wiping the tears out of his eyes and sniffling. Although, when he did, more tears just seemed to make their way back out.

"There was an auction an hour and a half from here. I saw it as a listing and-" I was surprised by how wide his eyes went.

"Hour and a half?" He scoffed. I blushed a little when I realized how that was quiet a ways to get a book, I shrugged and nodded. "Why?" He seemed genuinely confused on why someone would go that far for him.

"Because I know how important it is to you. You always talked about how you and your grandmother read them..." He looked at the book and then looked back to me. Tears started to come in his eyes again and he immediately pulled me back in for another hug. I could feel him crying, this time I don't think it wasn't as happy as it was last time.