And Rose Again On The Third Day

And rose again on the third day

            We’re finally here.  Jesus has suffered and died.  He’s descended into hell and ruined Satan’s day.  And now comes that great triumphant day of glory.  The resurrection occurs.  Can you imagine what it must have been like? 

What did the guards at the tomb think and feel when suddenly there was an earthquake and the stone rolls away?  According to the Gospel accounts, they were encouraged to say that they had all fallen asleep and the disciples stole the body.  They refused.  It would have been the end of their careers to fall asleep at their post.

What did the women think when they saw the empty tomb?  We know Mary Magdalene was so distraught she begged to be told where the body had been moved to, only to discover the “gardener” she was talking to was her beloved Jesus.

What did the Blessed Mother feel?  Did she, through a special grace, know the instant it happened?  Did Jesus visit her as soon as he rose?  As a mom, I like to think so.  I like to think she went with the other women to the tomb because they would have thought it weird if she didn’t.  But she already knew he wasn’t there.  Of course, we don’t know, because Scripture doesn’t say.

What did Peter think when Mary Magdalene told him Jesus was alive?  Was he excited?  Scared?  Did he wonder, as he went to the tomb, “what if it’s not true?  What if it is?”  And after he saw the empty tomb, what did he think?  What did he feel?  The last time he had seen Jesus, the last time Jesus saw him, he had denied even knowing him.  And while he made his denials, Jesus was being beaten. Did he feel ashamed that he hadn’t been at the cross?  Did he long to see Jesus again and apologize for his weakness?

We see the empty tomb as a great victory.  We see it for what it is because we understand what it is.  We have Scripture and almost 2000 years of perspective that they didn’t have.  We know at least two of the disciples didn’t understand what had happened or why, because Jesus had to explain it to them on the road to Emmaus.  We know they didn’t recognize him.  He was revealed to them in the breaking of bread.

We know Thomas refused to believe the stories.  He had to touch and see before he could believe.  Jesus understood that and gave him the opportunity to do so.  Jesus knows sometimes we have trouble with mysteries.  And someone being crucified on Friday and alive on Sunday is the greatest mystery of them all.  No one had ever conquered death before.  But he did.

Because he rose again on the third day a whole new era was begun.  It was, it is, the era of the church.  The kingdom of God here on earth was ushered in.  The restoration of all things began.  It began in their hearts.  The Blessed Mother’s Son was restored.  And because he was restored to life, Mary Magdalene’s joy was restored.  Peter’s commission as head of the church was restored.  Thomas’s faith was restored.  That’s what the empty tomb is all about.  It’s about our restoration.  Through the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus the way has been made for us to be restored to all that God has created mankind to be.  To restore to us all that was lost in the Fall.  The work has begun.  It won’t be completed on earth until Jesus comes again in glory.  It won’t be completed in our lives, should he tarry, until we stand before the Father and see Jesus face to face.  But it has begun. 

“I am confident of this that the one who began a good work in you will continue to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 1: 6 NABRE)