Of All things Visible and Invisible

Of all things visible and invisible

          Of all things visible.  God created them.  From the tiniest atom, or part of an atom, to the biggest planet.  He created them.  And I think he did it with a sense of humor.  Don’t believe me?  Go to the zoo. 

          He also created all things invisible.  The angels we can’t see, but that are always there.  There’s a great story about the invisible in 2 Kings 6: 8-17.  It takes place during the time of Elisha.  The king of Aram was waging war against Israel.  Or trying to.  Every time he came to a place to attack, the people would be ready.  After this happened several times, the king decided someone must be a spy.  One of the officers told him no one was a spy but that Elisha was telling the king of Israel all of their battle plans.  So the king of Aram decided to capture Elisha.

          “They arrived by night and encircled the city.  Early the next morning, when the servant of the man of God arose and went out, he saw the force with its horses and chariots surrounding the city.  “Alas!” he said to Elisha.  “What shall we do, my lord?”  Elisha answered, “Do not be afraid.  Our side outnumbers theirs.”  Then he prayed, “O Lord, open his eyes, that he may see.”  And the Lord opened the eyes of the servant, and he saw that the mountainside was filled with fiery chariots and horses around Elisha.  (2 Kings 6: 14b-17)

          That’s the invisible that God created.  And they are with us always.  No matter where we go or what we do, as long as we are on this earth, the invisible army of the Lord of Hosts is with us.  And that’s a comforting thought.